Unigine Tropics Sets Linux OpenGL Precedent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
    Not sure about your experience, but in general this benchmark is completely GPU limited. Which means it will use every piece of GPU horsepower it can (or is allowed to by the drivers).

3DMark is much the same - 3DMark Vantage is barely nice to watch with a high-end card.

Regards,

Matthew
    But then again Vantage looks a _lot_ better than this piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
      Not impressive at all other than it manages to bring a high-end GPU to a halt without displaying gorgeous graphics. I guess this is Alpha software though. Where's the bottleneck? kernel? drivers? the program itself?
      Neither card I have in hand is high-end, they're mid-end. The demo fires itself up in highest settings which is part of the problem anyhow. Crysis at full settings isn't any better, the truth be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I've sent an inquiry to that game studio.
        intoxicate Afterfall developer on NMA forums about engines used in Afterfall:
        Quote:
        will you guys use dx10? or you just going to stick with dx9?
        dx10 for vista
        dx9 for other Ms
        ogl for linux
        - and as far all of above works fine.
        sounds good

Comment

But then again Vantage looks a _lot_ better than this piece of software.
          Perhaps. Unfortunately, Vantage doesn't RUN on Linux, now does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Perhaps. Unfortunately, Vantage doesn't RUN on Linux, now does it?
            But OpenGL does! And shaders etc. So should be no problem pushing out something as "gorgeous" as vantage. But well, there's no such demand really for the linux platform anyway, I guess that's the problem

Comment

But OpenGL does! And shaders etc. So should be no problem pushing out something as "gorgeous" as vantage. But well, there's no such demand really for the linux platform anyway, I guess that's the problem
              It has less to do with demand and more to do with perceptions from the people doing the benchmarking software. They don't see us as "important" right now. Hell, they don't even see MacOS as "important" either.

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
                Not sure about your experience, but in general this benchmark is completely GPU limited. Which means it will use every piece of GPU horsepower it can (or is allowed to by the drivers).

3DMark is much the same - 3DMark Vantage is barely nice to watch with a high-end card.

Regards,

Matthew
                Is it stable for you?

Cat 8.8, Xorg 7.2, HD3850 AGP and an Athlon [email protected] I get 12/17/21 fps @ 1280x1024.

The trouble is at 1024x768 it always hangs at scene 8 and at 1280x1024 I can only get one run. Letting it continue results in artifacts (different with vsync on/off) and really low FPS eventually SysRq able hanging.

It's not temperature - I can run the new sanctuary +hdr for ages with GPU 99% and 86 degrees and I am only at 80 for tropical.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Neither card I have in hand is high-end, they're mid-end. The demo fires itself up in highest settings which is part of the problem anyhow. Crysis at full settings isn't any better, the truth be known.
                  Crysis still can't be run at the highest settings easily with current gen graphic's cards (unless you are using a low reselution but then why would you spend $600+ on a graphic's card?), with these two demo's I get an average of 25FPS @ 1920*1200 on a card that's two generations old.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                    Crysis still can't be run at the highest settings easily with current gen graphic's cards (unless you are using a low reselution but then why would you spend $600+ on a graphic's card?), with these two demo's I get an average of 25FPS @ 1920*1200 on a card that's two generations old.
                    What card are you doing that with, pray tell? I've got a single gen old card and a two gen old card and the machines are getting pasted hard with the stock settings at 12x10 resolution.

Comment

I'm using a overclocked 8800GTX

Comment

Working...
                      X