Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrid (or no) performance with AMD HD4850.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrid (or no) performance with AMD HD4850.

No matter what I do, I get awful performance with the fglrx driver using Catalyst 8.7. I get unbearable system slowdowns whenever I try to move or resize a window. I also get about 150fps in glxgears.

I tried downloading Catalyst 8.8, but I didn't even get a display; my system would freeze as soon as X attempted to start and I had to change my xorg.conf from a livecd.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can improve performance? I get better performance using the VESA driver than anything else.

And yes I have tried the xf86 drivers and neither worked at all.

My system:
    Intel E7200 @ 3.4GHz
    Diamond HD4850
    ASUS P5N-E
    OCZ StealthXStream 600w
    2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 DDR2 800

I'd start by killing the overclock and see if the video card straightens up.

Comment

Putting the processor back at stock did nothing.
      I noticed that when I do have 8.8 installed, when it tries to load X my card's fan is at 100% usage. I dunno if that means anything, but I thought it was weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Exospaciac View Post
        No matter what I do, I get awful performance with the fglrx driver using Catalyst 8.7. I get unbearable system slowdowns whenever I try to move or resize a window. I also get about 150fps in glxgears.

I tried downloading Catalyst 8.8, but I didn't even get a display; my system would freeze as soon as X attempted to start and I had to change my xorg.conf from a livecd.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can improve performance? I get better performance using the VESA driver than anything else.

And yes I have tried the xf86 drivers and neither worked at all.

My system:
        Intel E7200 @ 3.4GHz
        Diamond HD4850
        ASUS P5N-E
        OCZ StealthXStream 600w
        2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 DDR2 800
        Sounds like direct rendering isn't working. What does "glxinfo | grep render" tell you?

Comment

Direct rendering doesn't work with 8.7

Code:
          direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
          OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
          Also, this is what happens when I try to boot with Catalyst 8.8:

Comment

Working...
          X