No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.04 Is The Jaunty Jackalope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it'll mean using upstart (the init replacement that's been around for a long time in "init compatibility mode") seriously, which will have flow-on effects to the way services are managed and probably lead to better system stability

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Driver developers also think fast boot is extremely important
    ...you should only care about boot times when a driver crashes your box

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
      A fast boot time is great for laptops, especially netbooks.

And since netbooks are the latest trend...
      Ah, but of course...
      Silly me.
      OK, I approve now. Netbooks are definitely going to be *the* way to increase Ubuntu market share in the coming few years.

And the software/services blur, that's probably got something to do with it as well. Especially when you only have 4GB of storage and a 600MHz Celeron.

J1M.

Comment

i still think Jolly Jackass would've been a better name ...

Comment

The fact that they chose an animal that doesn't exist troubles me somewhat. I hope it doesn't foreshadow anything about that release.
          Last edited by carpex; 10 September 2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure the Wikipedia page for "Jackalope"'s noticed a spike in traffic (I'd never heard the term before)...

Comment

Well, imho faster boot time would be great feature. Sometimes dhcp check in boot freezes whole booting like for 30 seconds. Its not acceptable.

Comment

You don't have that using network-manager.

Comment

It'd be great if ubuntu 9.04 boots as fast as the time a calculator takes to display the "0" after you press the ON button.

Comment

my gf suggested 'jittery jackrabbit' which might have made more sense.

Comment

This is great news. The init system needs to go away and never look back.
                      Just test bootchart, i bet you will find that your computer spend half the time waiting for something. Upstart will probably have so many positive effects, i hope debian (at least unstable) decides to change rather quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X