Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America's Army Returning To Linux?

Default America's Army Returning To Linux?

Phoronix: America's Army Returning To Linux?

Do you remember the days when we had America's Army for Linux? The first-person shooter game sponsored by the US government and uses Epic's Unreal Engine while being distributed freely? Well, it could come back to Linux! There were Linux server and client versions of America's Army up through v2.5 Direct Action. At that point, however, Ryan Gordon had abandoned his AA client porting work to Linux and Mac OS X...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjcxMA

How can they port it when UT3 is still not out?

I guess it will be soon.. :/

I've gone over those AA forum threads several times, and there doesn't seem to be any indication that they're seriously considering doing a Linux port. Where is that information from?

For some reason while the game developers friendly, there are a few trolls who think they represent the Army when they post(ie [MIA]KCToker), but for some reason the forum moderators seem to not care.

The only person with a ability represent the views of the Army is [Dev]Pye. The rest are just trolls and Windows Fan Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: America's Army Returning To Linux?

Do you remember the days when we had America's Army for Linux? The first-person shooter game sponsored by the US government and uses Epic's Unreal Engine while being distributed freely? Well, it could come back to Linux! There were Linux server and client versions of America's Army up through v2.5 Direct Action. At that point, however, Ryan Gordon had abandoned his AA client porting work to Linux and Mac OS X...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjcxMA
    Did Lucifer ice-skate to work this morning? I didn't think they'd revisit the thing any time in the reasonable future from when they axed the support back ages ago.

It IS interesting that there's rumblings about this and that they're working at using the new UT engine for it. Food for thought, I'd say.

Eventhough it's nice to have another game natively running with linux, America's army is not exactly the game I like to play as I see some US government propaganda in this game.
    After all, this is game is only made for US teens that could then change their mind upon enroling in US army and then going in Iraq or somewhere else to fight "against the bad axe".

I don't say it's good or bad to enrole in US army, I just say that I don't want that video games become a way of political propaganda.
    Just for that, I don't want to play AA and rather play terrorist in CSS !

I don't have a problem with America's Army being propaganda of sorts. It never pretends to be anything else, and nothing about it is blatantly false or misleading. I would like to see a new port for Linux. It sounds like that will only happen if one of the devs spends his spare time doing that, though, and it will depend on the next version being OpenGL-based.

With Fixxer_Linux here. It's propaganda material of the worst. I would never touch it no matter what platform it's for. I've done my military service myself ( obligatory in my country ) so I do not need such propaganda ( maybe some understand now why I like Deus-Ex for providing me with means to "not kill" and still win )

I agree, stupid military propaganda tool, rather pathetic that the us army has to resort to these kind of gimmicks to get naive fools to enlist. I thought the usa said patriotism was in an all time high!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    Eventhough it's nice to have another game natively running with linux, America's army is not exactly the game I like to play as I see some US government propaganda in this game.
    After all, this is game is only made for US teens that could then change their mind upon enroling in US army and then going in Iraq or somewhere else to fight "against the bad axe".

I don't say it's good or bad to enrole in US army, I just say that I don't want that video games become a way of political propaganda.
    Just for that, I don't want to play AA and rather play terrorist in CSS !
    lol, so true here.. :P