Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98$ linux laptop

Anyone heard of this?

It's a mini laptop with a MIPS based processor that runs a custom version of a linux distro (made by the manufacturers), and its main selling point is that starting Oct. it will be prized at 98$? Is this too good to be true? What does everyone think? The reviewer in the video says he's looking forward to newer models to include ARM processors and a DSP accelerator.

Heh - now that's a good way to break away from binary blobs - flash/graphics drivers/other blobs won't work on non-x86 architectures, so if you flood the market with different architectures, it'll cost more to maintain blobs compared to free software

Comment

Im having trouble trying to figure out if the previous post was a sarcastic one. But yea, the MIPS processor doesnt support flash, and frankly i dont care, flash is crap anyways.

Comment

That's just about an impulse buy.

Now, if it only spreads globally, instead of just Asia..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          That's just about an impulse buy.

Now, if it only spreads globally, instead of just Asia..
          I think thats their hope.

Comment

This definitely looks interesting, but I get the feeling that anyone trying to distribute them in the US would be hit with patent suits and other strong-arm tactics (retailers pressured to not carry them, etc.). Intel and others just got comfortable with the idea of a $300 price point; I doubt that they're ready to compete with something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
              This definitely looks interesting, but I get the feeling that anyone trying to distribute them in the US would be hit with patent suits and other strong-arm tactics (retailers pressured to not carry them, etc.). Intel and others just got comfortable with the idea of a $300 price point; I doubt that they're ready to compete with something like this.
              Which is exactly why i want to get one or more of these. This is coming only a year after the EEE PC was released, imagine the next models this 98$ laptop will have. Laptops will soon cost as much as a cheap lunch.

Comment

Well the display is really small and i don't think you can use flash or java with it. It might be enough for some mails. For longer wordprocessing it is highly unlikely that you can use that tiny keyboard blindly. That's something for slow two finger typers

Comment

hehehehe, yea. BTW, i got an email from them. They said that the 98$ price is for wholesale buys. Minimum order quantity: 1000 units. I guess the price for a single unit is still 120$.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    hehehehe, yea. BTW, i got an email from them. They said that the 98$ price is for wholesale buys. Minimum order quantity: 1000 units. I guess the price for a single unit is still 120$.
                    hope the wholesale buyers can buy for a cheaper cost and sell it for a very good price and i'm sure the wholesale buyer will earn good profit.

If the laptop is available for $98 for a single unit, then i am ready to pay now itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X