Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid" Alpha 5 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid" Alpha 5 Released

With almost a month having went by since Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 was released, the fifth alpha release is now available for testing. This release most significantly swaps out the Linux 2.6.26 kernel for 2.6.27 for reasons we shared in a previous article...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't you just love it how whenever Dell gets involved in Linux, they push everything toward proprietary (ie. DKMS and binary blobs).

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
      Don't you just love it how whenever Dell gets involved in Linux, they push everything toward proprietary (ie. DKMS and binary blobs).
      No DKMS is also a nice feature for the OOS Driver f.e. for Backport new Drivers to an Older Kernel Version. Or for Open Source Driver they not in the kernel Tree.

Comment

I don't know if I am the only one concerned but, I alway failed booting on one of those ibex livecds. I mean after the boot menu, the screens goes red with lots of white squares instead of chars to finally get a black desktop...
        Whereas mandriva 2009 beta 1 was ok to boot.
        I think it's radeonhd related but I am not sure.
        I use a ATI 2400XT which runs perfectly under Ubuntu 8.04.1. I am considering to do some bug report, but I try to gather some feedback from more users.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Ubuntu 8.10 will ship with DKMS by default. DKMS, or Dynamic Kernel Module Support, is a project of Dell's that allows out-of-tree kernel modules to be rebuilt automatically when switching to a new kernel. A notable user of this technology is ATI with their Catalyst Linux driver.
          LOL! It's true. Unfortunatly you STILL can't use Catalyst 3D drivers because the new Xorg isn't supported.. so no REAL benefit for the users

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
            I don't know if I am the only one concerned but, I alway failed booting on one of those ibex livecds. I mean after the boot menu, the screens goes red with lots of white squares instead of chars to finally get a black desktop...
            Whereas mandriva 2009 beta 1 was ok to boot.
            I think it's radeonhd related but I am not sure.
            I use a ATI 2400XT which runs perfectly under Ubuntu 8.04.1. I am considering to do some bug report, but I try to gather some feedback from more users.
            Intrepid will load the radeon driver (xorg-xserver-video-ati) by default for your card.

I have the same problem here, with a HD3870. Here's what I did to get Interpid loaded:

Boot the liveCD, select language as appropriate and then "try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer." Let it run until all activity on the optical drive stops. Then wait some more. You'll have a blank screen, but we'll take care of that.

Open a text session with <ctrl><alt><F3> THe session should log itself in as user "ubuntu." When you get a prompt:

cd /etc/X11 <--- note upper case "X"
            sudo nano xorg.conf

scroll down to the section "Device" and immediately after the line "Identifier "Configured Video Device"" add a new line that reads:

Driver "radeonhd"

or

Driver "vesa"

as you desire. The quotation marks are required. Save the document (<ctrl>O) <--- "O" is letter "O" and close nano (<ctrl>X) Radeonhd works fine for me, but I have tested the "vesa" option, and it works, too.

Don't reboot the machine...remember that changes made to the liveCD session aren't permanent, plus it's not necessary.

Now, switch to the "X" session (<ctrl><alt><F7>) and then enter

<ctrl><alt><backspace>

to restart it with the new driver you just specified. You should see the live CD desktop.

Double click on the "install" icon and proceed with installation as normal. The installer will remember the video driver loaded into the "liveCD" session so you won't have to do the same drill on the hard drive installation.

I've filed a bug in launchpad against this.
            Last edited by rbmorse; 06 September 2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post

I've filed a bug in launchpad against this.
              Ok I'll add a comment on lp to confirm it, do you have the direct pointer for your bug entry.

Not as userfriendly as it used to be...

Comment

Try this:

[email protected]

Comment

LOL! It's true. Unfortunatly you STILL can't use Catalyst 3D drivers because the new Xorg isn't supported.. so no REAL benefit for the users

Comment

Working...
                  X