Thanks to the ATI driver team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to the ATI driver team

It's amazing to look on this forum and see the huge amount of negativity on some the posts for the ATI support for their products after the POS (point of sale). It is true that whilst their drivers are painful at times to deal with, (such as the current catalyst 8.8 driver set) we forget that it is only since the introduction of 8.41 last year that the speed and usability have increased for most users. I have only recently stopped using Windows XP and have opted to use a linux distro because of the driver problems with my ATI video card (X200M) and whilst some may snigger at the thought of somebody actually using this card for 3d at all, catalyst 8.8 works very well for all linux based games/apps. Sure, wine may not work well with it for 3d, but at least its playable for most of the linux based games and for 2d most apps run just fine. Yes the tearing in video is painful, but I would like to thank the development team/s for these releases, even though I believe that we are the beta testers some times for these drivers. A special thanks to bridgeman to keeping us up to date with developments and notifying use that issues we have raised on this formum are being listened to and are consideration. Well done ATI.

Originally posted by Lord_of_da_Ping View Post
    Well done ATI.
    +1
    I strongly agree. Thank you AMD/ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_of_da_Ping View Post
      catalyst 8.8 works very well for all linux based games/apps. Sure, wine may not work well with it for 3d, but at least its playable for most of the linux based games and for 2d most apps run just fine.
      Well done ATI.
      aye as said in first post it's been nice to see really good progress, i have noticed huge improvement between 8.3 -> 8.8 drivers, with my x1600. 8.3 works well but there's huge improvement between those drivers.
      *bow*

Comment

i can't belive to say this, but keep the good job ATI!

as an x200m user i'm almost satisfied:

- no flicker in compiz! wow you made it!
        - god 2d and acceptable 3d.

just one more favor please.

SQUEEZE a little more this driver for us.

sorry my english.

Comment

I have to say it too. My notebook now working just as I need it to. Thanks.

Comment

Well RV410 "works" much worse than 1 year ago. I really hate flickering - which is "normal" since xserver 1.4.x it seems. It flickers with every xrandr command or when an app is started - completely useless. Before it did not flicker at least. It is fully crap that only new R500+ cards are supported better and the older ones are worse than before.

Comment

+1!

The only driver that gave me problems is the 8.7 (didn't try 8.8). But it can be my fault.

Keep going ATI. Like a teacher told me once, "you will never know when you did a good thing, but people will always tell you when something is bad".

I think ATI needs to know they are really doing a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
                i can't belive to say this, but keep the good job ATI!

as an x200m user i'm almost satisfied:

- no flicker in compiz! wow you made it!
                - god 2d and acceptable 3d.

just one more favor please.

SQUEEZE a little more this driver for us.

sorry my english.

I doubt they could "squeeze" anything more out of the 200m. I have such a chip on my laptop and all the crossplatform openGL testing I have done (and including some apps. with Wine) shows exact Windows to Linux performance. My HD3850 and x800gto also show similar results.
                I believe that fglrx is for the most part on par with the Windows driver in terms of raw performance. It does fall behind on certain openGL operations (this is probably the main reason it does not work/perform that well in Wine and bad performance on certain games).
                All in all, the ATI Linux team is doing a fantastic job.
                Last edited by Melcar; 07 September 2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I been thinking about making a thread like this one myself.
                  I think AMD is doing a great job and deserve less negativity.
                  But if something doesn't work they need to know it.
                  I use AMD on my computers and i'm satisfied.
                  And thanks to bridgeman for your work on the phoronix forum (even on hes vacation he replies).

Comment

I heartily agree to everything here basically! The drivers have come a long long way, and the community presence (which on the phoronix forums at least means you bridgeman) has been nothing short of fantastic. Keep up the good work - it really is appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X