No announcement yet.

Thanks to the ATI driver team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What amazes me with both ATI and NVIDIA is that they make all this advanced hardware, but still in 2008 are not able to make software drivers to actually utilise the hardware. Tearing and poor 2D acceleration should have been something one struggled with 10 years ago and not now.

However, I really like that ATI/AMD is now supporting Linux and releasing frequent closed source drivers and especillay documentation to make usable open source drivers!

I have just ordered a HD 4870 and hope it will work nicely in my Linux box.

Comment

My first laptop had Nvidia and I had no video driver problems with Ubuntu Breezy Badger, and when I decided to build a desktop, I was really attracted to the ATI cards. When I first put my computer together, I knew very little about linux and was dismayed at my choice of an ATI card because of the lack of linux support.

However, it wasn't long before AMD bought ATI and committed itself to supporting linux. I have been able to enjoy many games on linux with my ATI card, and I am very pleased with AMD's dedication to open source. Even the open source drivers can now fulfill a great deal of my needs.

Hopefully you guys can support X.org 7.4 in time for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. Of course, thanks to the open source drivers, I will be fine either way

Thank you AMD/ATI !!

Comment

Yes, thank you ATI for the slow, tearing and unstable drivers that when compared to Intel's look like they have been written by 15 year olds trying to learn systems programming.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Yes, thank you ATI for the slow, tearing and unstable drivers that when compared to Intel's look like they have been written by 15 year olds trying to learn systems programming.

Thank you so much.
          dont insult 15 year olds...

Comment

Hello, I would say thanks to the developer if I would be satisfied.
            But I am not!

I can compare between an latest NVIDIA and an latest AMD/ATI product and their drivers.

NVIDIA is much better if you have Dualhead configured.
            It works simply stable and perfect.

AMD/ATI fglrx LINUX drivers causes hangs, freezes, tearing, slow performance.
            Many games don't work in fullscreen mode or crash directly after start. (TORCS, Dreamchees)

a simple:
            /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            causes a black screen freeze.

Here is my xorg.conf:

For me, this is not a usable state.

So I installed an NVIDIA GF8800 to my Dualhead system, and it run with the latest beta driver simply perfect.

I can watch a tearing free video on the first device display (resolution 1360x768) and play a 3D full screen game on the second device display (resolution 1280x1024), and it works simply stable and good, this is what I mean.

And if you have a problem with ATI/AMD, you didn't have any documentation about possible options.

Please compare self:
            ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/
            ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...DME/index.html

Every NVIDIA Driver have a perfect manual.

Sorry, but this is really what I think.
            Last edited by Gregor A.; 09 September 2008, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I would love to thank AMD for their great work on their Linux drivers.
              Except, well, I get better performance out of this HD4850 using the VESA driver. :/

If I can't get this working soon I'm just going to sell it and never buy an AMD card again.

Comment

Yes I really really do thank ATI/AMD for all they have done and how far they have came soo fast, and while I don't want them to stop, it would be nice to see some more bug fixes for stopper problems (like the checkerboard of doom... yeah the work arounds are there but there is no guarantee a work around will work for you, like with my current setup the checkerboard of doom work arounds haven't worked yet, short of using mesa, and that has been a formula for bitter hatred for me) honestly feature wise where they are now at 8.8 is a good place to do a feature pause and fix all the bugs before you add more features. Honestly if you add too much at once before you fix your bugs its much like cleaning a room at the end of a project, the task becomes harder than it would have been if you had did it while you went, or took breaks to clean it up.
                By no means am I harping on them and mad at them, hell this weekend im planning on going and getting a 4xxx card and probly replaceing this nVidia card that is failing in my DVR with an HD 2900, Im just saying honestly, as a consumer and fan, I would like to see more bug fixes before there are too many more features I cant even use because the bugs dont let me.

Comment

I don't get the "thank you for how far you have come and what you have done" argument. They have done little. They released specs and are waiting for others to do something, but they themselves don't really do anything. They even paid someone to do something, but that someone doesn't seem to do, or be able to do it.

AMD, just freakin' do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    I don't get the "thank you for how far you have come and what you have done" argument. They have done little. They released specs and are waiting for others to do something, but they themselves don't really do anything. They even paid someone to do something, but that someone doesn't seem to do, or be able to do it.

AMD, just freakin' do it yourself.
                    I think perhaps you don't realise just how much ATI have done since they officially started to support linux (well I refer to when AMD bought ATI, as AMD has always has an interest in linux). From a barely working driver (where display lists wouldn't always work for me), they've since produced a full featured driver with a (mostly) stable core and are now working on the "extras". I put mostly in there due to linux being quite a difficult target to aim for, as it's constantly moving, and new bugs are bound to pop up every now and then. Add to that, they've also released documentation to better allow open source alternatives (and whatever their reasons, it's still a good thing for the open source community). They've made it viable to play commercial games under linux (etqw for example) with their cards and are both internally and externally (with documentation releases) improving drivers all the time, and keeping a community presence despite an awful lot of (in my opinion) undeserved negative feedback.

Comment

Full featured driver? Can you give me a link, cause the ones I found are full of bugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X