ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
    Enabling playback? I am able to play HD video on my Linux machine perfectly well now. No lag/tear on my x1800 with xf86-video-ati. FGLRX also used to render it fine (unless compiz was enabled). Then wats the fuss about? something to do with vsync or something like legal issues with allowing HD playback in Linux?
    vsync
    videos are unwatchable
    and hd videos with gl are too slow

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
      Enabling playback? I am able to play HD video on my Linux machine perfectly well now. No lag/tear on my x1800 with xf86-video-ati. FGLRX also used to render it fine (unless compiz was enabled). Then wats the fuss about? something to do with vsync or something like legal issues with allowing HD playback in Linux?
      Decode acceleration is what I would like as my CPU (single 32bit @ 2.1GHz) is not fast enough to do broadcast h264 1080i.

The article is about hdcp encrypted stuff so this is never going to be open (or use open APIs?) as such.

I hope one day fglrx (or OSS drivers) will allow us to use our hardware to get hw decoding accel/deinterlacing with unencrypted h264.

Comment

Working...
      X