Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

catalyst or radeon which is better for x1300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalyst or radeon which is better for x1300?

for example, when using mplayer with xv or gl video driver, which should be better.
    Now, I use catalyst 8.8 in Archlinux on my laptop.
    but I found that using mplayer with gl video driver cannot return from the fullscreen mode properly, when I press f, the whole screen isn't displayed correctly, well, how should I say, messed up!

I try to get a screenshot when this happens.
    but when I use gnome-screenshot to get the pic, the pic is totally correct.

I think when I press the f to back from fullscreen, the screen is not refresh properly.

So, I wanner try the radeon driver.

Go ahead and try the radeon (or radeonhd, people have differing experiences with which one works better for them) driver. It works alright for basic stuff, but 3d will be (a lot) slower than in fglrx. That's the price you pay right now until the devs get proper memory manangement and optimization stuff worked out.

However, you may want to wait until the new xserver arrives (in the next week, probably), which should make it a lot easier to install (basically just grab all the packages.)

Comment

Originally posted by archman View Post
      for example, when using mplayer with xv or gl video driver, which should be better.
      Now, I use catalyst 8.8 in Archlinux on my laptop.
      but I found that using mplayer with gl video driver cannot return from the fullscreen mode properly, when I press f, the whole screen isn't displayed correctly, well, how should I say, messed up!

I try to get a screenshot when this happens.
      but when I use gnome-screenshot to get the pic, the pic is totally correct.

I think when I press the f to back from fullscreen, the screen is not refresh properly.

So, I wanner try the radeon driver.
      The screen thing is a known issue and for me only happens if my screem res x and y are not divisible by 64. You may be able to work around it by adding a virtual line in the screen section of your xorg.conf eg.

SubSection "Display"
      Modes "1600x1200"
      virtual 1600 1201

This doesn't seem to work for everyone and makes your screen scroll by a pixel.

IIRC (got a different R600 card now) on r500 radeon was fine with xv but only gl2 without colourspace options worked. Things may have changed since I last tried.

Comment

well, that doesnot work for me.
        I already have a resolution of 1024x768.
        I still donot know why that happens

Comment

Working...
        X