Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Games Are Most Important To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    Halo didn't sell well on the PC for several other reasons, the first one was released for the PC almost 2 years after it was released on the xbox, the people that wanted to play it by then had played it so why would they go out and buy it again?
    Exactly. They already bought it, so why would they want to buy it again? If they only needed to pay 10 or 15 bucks (since MS can get away with cheap) to get it to run on the PC, more people would have paid that for a more enjoyable experience for a game they already had (in the case of Halo because PCs kick the pants off consoles for FPSs).

EDIT:
    Just so you can see how much money it costs the unreal engine 2 lisence which isn't even a cutting edge engine like UE3 or iD tech 4
    By contrast, there's Unigine which is more on par with the likes of UE3 and the Crysis engine (and has a native Linux port, btw):
    Binary Indie* - $15 000+$35 000
    Source Indie* - $20 000+$55 000
    Binary - $50 000
    Source - $75 000

Updates are provided no matter what version number of Unigine will be released. Thus there will be no need in any additional payments to upgrade to further versions during this period.
    *: "Indie" licenses are available for small independent studios only. The first part of the price is an initial payment, the second one is to be paid after getting funding from any kind of investor or before official release of the Unigine-based product.
    Last edited by Chris; 08 September 2008, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• One of the reasons I'm into my engine project... these prices are just insane for any indie out there <.=.<

Comment

• Back on Topic:

Savage2
        Sauerbraten
        Battle for Wesnoth
        FretsonFire

ET:QuakeWars too but I have not really played that much lately.

Is there still anyone playing Quake4 MP? Haven't checked in ages.
        Last edited by Julius; 10 September 2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• The Battle for Wesnoth
          Secret Maryo Chronicles
          Various emulators (SDLmame, ZSNES etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
            By contrast, there's Unigine which is more on par with the likes of UE3 and the Crysis engine (and has a native Linux port, btw):
            Unfortunately, all the titles you mention that you want don't USE Unigine that I know of. (Seriously, enlighten us over in the wishlist thread- I'd love to add anyone that might be a win for us over there into the "looking into" list.)

If they did, it'd be less of an uphill battle getting them- much like you'd think it'd be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Unfortunately, all the titles you mention that you want don't USE Unigine that I know of.
              I'm just saying that just because it's a new or last-gen engine doesn't mean it's automatically 6-digit figures. I assume Epic and id get away with it because they're popular/well known (or Unigine isn't all its cracked up to be, but the demos are pretty impressive none-the-less).

Still might be a good idea to keep an eye on the listed titles, though. Quite a few are as yet unnamed/unanounced, with more not currently listed due to NDAs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
                Back on Topic:

Savage2
                Sauerbraten
                Battle for Wesnoth
                FretsonFire

ET:QuakeWars too but I have not really played that much lately.

Is there still anyone playing Quake4 MP? Haven't checked in ages.
                I play vanilla quake4 mp somewhat regularly. Theres usually 2 or 3 servers for DM / TDM, and several others for Freezetag, which i dont like. There are many more servers but most of them are usually empty.

Comment

I'm just saying that just because it's a new or last-gen engine doesn't mean it's automatically 6-digit figures. I assume Epic and id get away with it because they're popular/well known (or Unigine isn't all its cracked up to be, but the demos are pretty impressive none-the-less).

Still might be a good idea to keep an eye on the listed titles, though. Quite a few are as yet unnamed/unanounced, with more not currently listed due to NDAs.
                  I'm keeping an eye on it once you reminded me about the engine. Nothing on the official list yet- but, still, you never know in this silly business. I didn't think anyone would be resurrecting the good stuff from Interplay like GoG has done.

Comment

iD an Epic get away with those sums because of the support they offer and apparently the engines are extremely easy to work with. It's not just the features the end users get to see that count (think gimp to photoshop, they both have a similar feature set- photoshop costs a lot but is easier to work with (or so I'm told, I have no talent for art and so have never used photoshop :P)).

Comment

• I'm sure some of these were mentioned, but I'd like to make sure Introversion's first 3 titles get mentioned: Uplink, Darwinia, and Defcon. All truly excellent, and incredibly atmospheric (especially Uplink, and Defcon).

Comment

Working...
                      X