Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results from Nvision?

Hi there,

so are there any results from Nvision? I'm thinking about several rumours and articles in the past...any news? I would like to see an article about it

What kind of results do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Mota_boy View Post
      What kind of results do you mean?
      Maybe smt about Support the Open Source Community.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Maybe smt about Support the Open Source Community.

There is still no reason for them to even address a OS solution. ATI still trails in many respects.

The opensource ATI drivers no matter what still will be neutered drivers because of 3rd party licence agreements.

When it comes to blobs, Nvidia still leads in SLi vs Crossfire (crossfire supports 1 engine)

Wine is still a big issue with ATI

ATI still has poor performance in Maya and Pro/E

Video playback is noticeably better on Nvidia then ATI (even with no XVmC) .

Nvidia is addressing performance issues. (3 driver releases marked as beta vs ATI's "official" releases that still have 1 year+ old bugs)

Nvidia has updated GPGPU processing capabilities. (Other then Folding@Home what have you seen that uses stream? Even there despite having a 1 year lead, Nvidia is pwning ATI's a**es to them)

etc etc etc......

Can ATI get their act together?? Hopefully. Can they match Nvidia's blob, feature for feature with performance? Maybe in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          The opensource ATI drivers no matter what still will be neutered drivers because of 3rd party licence agreements.
          When NVIDIA decides it's not profitable anymore to keep updating the binary blobs for today's generation of NVIDIA cards, those cards will be as worthless as paperweights. At least you know that the open source Radeon/RadeonHD drivers for ATI cards will remain functional and usable with new versions of Linux.
          Last edited by stan; 01 September 2008, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
            In a couple of years, when NVIDIA decides to stop updating binary blobs for today's generation of graphics cards, those cards will be as worthless as paperweights. At least you know that the open source Radeon/RadeonHD drivers for ATI cards will remain functional and usable with new versions of the Linux kernel.

And you base this on what? Considering that nvidia still even updates the tnt drivers (that debuted in 1998) your comment has no basis on fact what so ever.
            Last edited by deanjo; 01 September 2008, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              And you base this on what? Considering that nvidia still even updates the tnt drivers (that debuted in 1998) your comment has no basis on fact what so ever.
              NVIDIA's legacy driver for Riva TNT hardware is a complete joke. Last time I tried installing it on a Dell Dimension XPS with Ubuntu 7.10, X wouldn't even start. The open source driver for the ATI Rage 128 Pro card in my Dell Optiplex (which I bought around the same time) has worked without any problems, and I even get 2D XRender compositing with xcompmgr.
              Last edited by stan; 01 September 2008, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                NVIDIA's legacy driver for Riva TNT hardware is a complete joke. Last time I tried installing it on a Dell Dimension XPS with Ubuntu 7.10, X wouldn't even start. The open source driver for the ATI Rage 128 Pro card in my Dell Optiplex (which I bought around the same time) has worked without any problems, and I even get 2D XRender compositing with xcompmgr.
                We have a program here called "Computers for Kids". People donate their old systems or hardware to the organization, they are wiped, linux gets installed and they are given to the salvation army for distribution to less fortunate families. The only requirement for the machine is that they are net capable. In those machine we have seen quite literally hundreds of TNT, TNT2, Vanta, Geforce's and the blobs work fine there.

Comment

Working...
                X