3d effects keep flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d effects keep flashing

i've got ubuntu and whenever i start a game with 3d effects the window starts to flash.
    I have a Radeon X1650
    With the ubuntu driver ati accelerated driver.
    Please help me

There is nothing you can do about that. The Xorg Direct Rendering Infrastructure does not support redirection of direct rendered windows. You'll have to wait for DRI2 to be completed and for fglrx to be updated to it.

Adam

Comment

Well, Nvidia could do something about it. Because I became sick of the flickering I have bought a cheap nvidia card and, hey presto, no flickering and decent performance, too.

Comment

Originally posted by sammyboy View Post
        i've got ubuntu and whenever i start a game with 3d effects the window starts to flash.
        I have a Radeon X1650
        With the ubuntu driver ati accelerated driver.
        Please help me
        Do you have the desktop effects turned on?
        If so, turn them off. They(Compiz) are known to cause issues like this on Radeon cards.

I hope it helps!

Comment

There is also a "unredirect fullscreen windows" option in Compiz which will get Compiz out of the way when playing a fullscreen game.
          Test signature

Comment

I actually get to be of use yay!

Anyway, I recently introduced a friend to linux, and he has the exact same card, I can tell you that in Gnome I had the same annoying flickering/flashing problems when trying to play Baldurs Gate 2, as well as having the Gnome panels still visible --creating a psuedo windowed effect. Well what I did was installed blackbox, and ran the game from there --voila! It worked, no flashing -no panels. It also worked in fluxbox.

Comment

Working...
            X