Thread: XDS 2008: GLSL, Radeon, Graphics Testing

Default XDS 2008: GLSL, Radeon, Graphics Testing

Phoronix: XDS 2008: GLSL, Radeon, Graphics Testing

This morning Tungsten Graphics was speaking at XDS 2008 about the status of Gallium3D. However, the rest of the day is filled with a variety of other OpenGL and graphics related talks...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjY5OA

...power management is critical.
    What exactly does that mean?

R100-200: No Gallium support planned and limited development restricted to kernel mode-setting and memory management.
    Will r100-200 be discarded entirely when Gallium sits in master? No more 3D with these cards?

Quote Originally Posted by izual View Post
    What exactly does that mean?
    The card still heats up even when idle. It angers a lot of r600/r700 owners due to this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gentoofu View Post
    The card still heats up even when idle. It angers a lot of r600/r700 owners due to this reason.
    :E
    I need a card for one of my older machines, so I thought about buying a new 4650 or 4680 and put my 2600Pro in the old machine.

I knew that powerplay was kind of broken on the 3xxx series but I was sure they would fix it on the 4xxx series :/
    Bad job ati.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Will r100-200 be discarded entirely when Gallium sits in master? No more 3D with these cards?
    I'd certainly hope not I have a PC with an R200 card that's still going strong..
    What worries me is that they will not be using GEM, but a GEM-ified TTM.. I don't know much about memory management, but does this mean it won't take advantage of GEMs advantages?

I assume they'll stay in Mesa and could take GEM/TTM advantages, as like many others that not fit Gallium's requirements... but who knows?

@izual
    I think their first main goal was to get the cards do what users want first, like getting 2D & 3D display which is what they've done. Now it's time to do the other important stuff.

@Extreme Coder
    I asked airlied this and he said that GEM is just an API. The driver does the stuff and what Intel [GEM] does isn't suitable for radeon.