Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Yet Another Linux Driver [2008]

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Yet Another Linux Driver

In the past week we've seen the NVIDIA 177.67 binary driver for Linux which was outdone by the NVIDIA 177.68 driver just two days later. The 177.70 Beta driver was then released this morning with fixes and other enhancements since the 177.68 driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Back in March Phoronix wagered a laptop for how confident they were about an NVIDIA open source strategy. Half a year later, Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool?

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
      Back in March Phoronix wagered a laptop for how confident they were about an NVIDIA open source strategy. Half a year later, Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool?

They gave their answer a few months back

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2588
        Right, and the day after (June 24th) Phoronix was still holding onto hope that an open-source strategy will be announced at Nvision:
        If NVIDIA intends to make an announcement of an open-source strategy, we are betting on it taking place at their NVISION 08 conference in August.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
          Right, and the day after (June 24th) Phoronix was still holding onto hope that an open-source strategy will be announced at Nvision:
          Today the news came that X58 will have SLI. NVIDIA had to change their policy or be out of the game... On Open Source drivers from NVIDIA, I think this is probably at least 1-2 year off. Much will be determined on how AMD(ATI) does saleswise I think...

But that said, NVIDIA has supported Linux a lot more than ATI ever bothered, so ATI has some work to be done in order to get a better rep. Seemed that AMD was the tipping point.

Comment

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
            On Open Source drivers from NVIDIA, I think this is probably at least 1-2 year off.
            I will avoid NVIDIA hardware like the plague until they take concrete steps to provide a viable open source driver.
            Last edited by stan; 29 August 2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

is the best person

Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by ovi44 View Post
                Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool.
                I don't think anyone bought their hardwardware from nvidia based on it's opensource strategy. They bought it because it works period.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2588
                  Yes, their claim is that it is useless. Now, THAT's arrogance, folks.

Comment

Nice!

OpenGL 3.0, suspend/resume work great, nothing else to ask from me

(except maybe to release the driver as open-source so loud people who aren't helping coding nv but posting on forums instead can keep quiet!)

Comment

Working...
                    X