Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source 3D Success For Radeon RV770

Phoronix: Open-Source 3D Success For Radeon RV770

We have just found out from AMD's John Bridgman that Alex Deucher, one of their open-source engineers, has today successfully rendered its first hardware-accelerated triangle on the Radeon HD 4800 series (RV770). In other words, the first open-source 3D milestone for this latest graphics card family from ATI! This is similar to back in March when there was the R500 glxgears milestone and coming two months after that was full 3D support with some Linux games running...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is very good news! That was fast...

Comment

Good news! Hopefully this means that the devs will soon have time to start optimizing and adding features to the open-source driver, too!

Comment

For completeness, I should mention that we did not write the original r300demo program (I think it came out of the R300 DRI project) but Matthias (and Alex ?) modified it pretty heavily to make the current r600demo program.
        Test signature

Comment

This is really respectable. So soon we will have working XV under desktop composition? I've been waiting for this since the day I abandoned XGL

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            soon we will have working XV under desktop composition?
            Pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
              Pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease...
              Pretty please with suger on top

Comment

i remeber reading that the cause for the missing triangle issue was nowhere to be found initially.

was it really such an obscure bug?

This is really respectable. So soon we will have working XV under desktop composition? I've been waiting for this since the day I abandoned XGL
                well...keep it up. the waiting, that is ;-)

Comment

Yes, the last R600 news I had read about was: http://emmes.livejournal.com/1783.html

Comment

Yay, this comes from the radeonhd devs!

Comment

Working...
                    X