GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H w/ ATI HD 3300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H w/ ATI HD 3300

Hi I am interesting in upgrading to the GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard. This has the new ATI SB750 chip in it with the ATI HD 3300 integrated GPU. I was wondering if anyone has extensively tested this board in Linux and if everything works well?

If I do buy this board I would be installing it in a Gentoo 32-bit environment with the 2.6.26 Linux kernel.

Also I didn't see the ATI HD 3300 on the supported cards list for the newest fglrx driver. Is it fully supported? I know the HD 4xxx series has been supported in past releases and it wasn't listed on their site.

Sincerely,
    Sirus

I am also interested into this board. Does anyone has some info about it under Linux?

Thanks

Comment

Hello everyone!

My first post today!

I bought this board (Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H) yesterday and I'm just beginning to try out everything.

I just booted my old Ubuntu 8.04 system (which used an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, ASUS EN6600GT and MSI K7N2 board before) and it worked!
      I had to switch to Vesa first to get X running. I also tried fglrx from Ubuntu repository and the newest one from ati.amd.com and radeonhd. Sadly both don't seem to support the Onboard HD3300 yet.

We should stay tuned...
      Beleriand

Comment

show me:

lspci -nn|grep 0300

then i can tell you if fglrx supports it.

Comment

Hello Beleriand! Thanks for the info...

Maybe Kano will be able to help you...

Comment

Ok, here is my output:

Code:
            01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics [1002:9614]

Comment

You can not use Xserver 1.5, that means no Ubuntu 8.10, but for 8.04.1 this script should do:

you can even use -v 8-9 for latest driver (disabled by default due to dri bug with Xorg 7.1.1).

Comment

Hi Kano,

I tried your script with 8.8 and 8.9. Both didn't work out of the box. I read the output of it but didn't unterstand everything. It is using the package building of the ati-driver-installer-8-X-x86.x86_64.run and builds an intrepid package, isn't it? Since I am using 8.04 which is called hardy and you said it won't work for 8.10 which is intrepid I am a bit confused. My kernel is 2.6.24. Maybe your script needs some 2.6.27 ?

I'm going to buy an HD4850 in october/november I think which will solve my fps-problems playing games with windows, and it will also fix any problems with hardware acceleration under linux, but still this board is a very interesting one for every office-pc, silent-pc, htpc and linux user (not playing games but watching hd) though theres no need of an extra graphics card. It would be a shame not to get it work under linux.

If you want me to test something else, I could do that.

Beleriand

Comment

Well intrepid target is correct. You don't need hardy target, it is the same. I only add patches for 2.6.27 using dkms, which is not used for 2.6.24. Can you specify what errors you got? If you really want to buy a new card in the price range of a 4850 I would prefer Nvidia 9800 GTX+, you will be much more happy with that on linux *g*.

Comment

Here is what I did with your script:

I logged out Gnome, logged in to console, sh yourscript -v 8-9 (I also tried 8.8 before), finally your script restarted gdm and I logged in. After logging in there are some kind of graphic errors for a moment and I think Ubuntu is falling back to Mesa in this moment. Yeah and then Mesa thats it. I see everything configured in xorg.conf, but its always falling back.

This is the same behaviour I had using just the ati-driver-installer*.run. After your script was failing I tried the instructions on http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...atalyst_8.8.29
                    resulting again in the same Mesa ending. Refering to this release note HD3300 should be supported. Maybe I should try Removing Mesa Drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X