No announcement yet.

Mesa 7.1 Released, X.Org 7.4 Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot. I'll probably will need to draw a chart, using everything that I read here..

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Video playback is handled by the X driver, which in turn may load and use a DRM driver (aka kernel driver), in which case the X driver will normally talk through the DRM driver to control the chip. I'll explain why in a bit.

In this model, 2D and video acceleration went through the X server, the X driver, and the DRM driver, while 3D acceleration went directly to Mesa and then the DRM driver.
    Sorry, does it mean that Direct 3D calls are not used, when playing Videos, and it's closer to 2D in the way how it's performing? Why it flickers in Compiz, just like any other 3D app, then?

I mean.. Is there a chance that the Video would be played in with Desktop Effects enabled _before_ DRI2 implementation?

By the way: were there any considerations about having some sort of "X Windows system: Desktop edition" - without Network transparency requirements or so (I mean, free of "Client-server" model).
    Last edited by mityukov; 27 August 2008, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mityukov View Post
      Sorry, does it mean that Direct 3D calls are not used, when playing Videos, and it's closer to 2D in the way how it's performing? Why it flickers in Compiz, just like any other 3D app, then?
      the flicker is not generally caused by 3D apps, but by conflicting accesses to the framebuffer, like when 3D directly renders to framebuffer.

But it is also possible to render Videos directly to framebuffer, which is how the Xv Overlay works.

I mean.. Is there a chance that the Video would be played in with Desktop Effects enabled _before_ DRI2 implementation?
      it should already play fine with desktop effects enabled, if you use textured video.

you have probably configure it using "gstreamer-properties".

By the way: were there any considerations about having some sort of "X Windows system: Desktop edition" - without Network transparency requirements or so (I mean, free of "Client-server" model).
      this does not make sense.

Comment

Wow! Mesa 7.1 officially released. This is surely a sign of the Apocalypse. The next thing you know, The Four Horsemen will show up (I'm going to offer them a beer).

This is a good read (summarizes the different aspects of X rendering):
        Last edited by DanL; 27 August 2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X