Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Radeon Driver Improvements

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon Driver Improvements

For those following the xf86-video-ati developments or use this open-source Radeon driver for their graphics card, you may want to check out the latest development code. Committed to its git branch today was a lot of new work from Alex Deucher, Dennis Kasprzyk, David Airlie, Egbert Eich, and Corbin Simpson. There is now bi-cubic X-Video support for the Radeon R300 and R500 series GPUs, heavy optimizations in the video functions, and lots of code cleaning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big improvement. I can switch virtual terminals again. Video still has some tearing, but not nearly as bad as it once was. I still cant get 3d to work.

All in all it seems to be a great improvement. Keep up the good work guys, and lets try to get 3d working again.

Comment

Mesa 7.1 also looks pretty finished to me. Release today, tomorrow? Xorg 7.4 should be released then, too, with RadeonHD 1.3 hopefully arriving in time for the october distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Big improvement. I can switch virtual terminals again. Video still has some tearing, but not nearly as bad as it once was. I still cant get 3d to work.

All in all it seems to be a great improvement. Keep up the good work guys, and lets try to get 3d working again.
        I just updated to git master. It works just as fine as it did before, including 3D (Save for Xv tearing.)

Comment

This works fine for me too. Has anyone tried "mplayer -vo xv" (on a widescreen. I have 1680X1050) on R400 cards (I have a X800 card). Video works fine through gl2 on mplayer but the resolution gets horribly messed up when I use xv. Same behavior with the latest git driver.
          Last edited by kadambi; 26 August 2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

On an X800 I believe radeon will expose both overlay and textured video ports, and mplayer will use the overlay port by default while the improvements are on the textured video path. Are you telling mplayer to use the texvid ports ?

I think the xvinfo command should give you details of the available Xv ports.

Are you using XAA or EXA acceleration ? Apparently EXA works much better than XAA with Textured Video.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              On an X800 I believe radeon will expose both overlay and textured video ports, and mplayer will use the overlay port by default while the improvements are on the textured video path. Are you telling mplayer to use the texvid ports ?

I think the xvinfo command should give you details of the available Xv ports.

Are you using XAA or EXA acceleration ? Apparently EXA works much better than XAA with Textured Video.
              I am using EXA.

My xvinfo gives

Adaptor #1: "Radeon Textured Video"
              number of ports: 16
              port base: 58
              operations supported: PutImage
              supported visuals:
              depth 24, visualID 0x21
              no port attributes defined
              maximum XvImage size: 2048 x 2048
              Number of image formats: 4
              id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
              guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 16
              number of planes: 1
              type: YUV (packed)
              id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
              guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 12
              number of planes: 3
              type: YUV (planar)
              id: 0x30323449 (I420)
              guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 12
              number of planes: 3
              type: YUV (planar)
              id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
              guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 16
              number of planes: 1
              type: YUV (packed)

and I used

mplayer -vo xv:\port=58 <video file>

This messes up the resolution completely. I can live with "-vo gl2" since it works fine.

xv seems to work fine on 4:3 monitor too. Looks like a widescreen issue?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I just updated to git master. It works just as fine as it did before, including 3D (Save for Xv tearing.)
                Any suggestion on how to resolve this problem?

Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
                I get this on any 3d application I try to run? Any logs you want to see? Any configuration? Any commands you need run? Any help at all guys. I would be totally appreciative.

Comment

@duby229

Read this. I think you can also safely revert back this patch to make your 3D work again, but maybe it is already fixed in 7.1 release and you can tried that first.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Any suggestion on how to resolve this [Xv tearing] problem?
                    It's not possible. The only workaround is to use Gl video and enable vsync with driconf. Unfortunately this will need more CPU than Xv but it does work flawlessly (at least on my R580 chip).

Comment

Working...
                    X