Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kerno View Post
    hi,
    i have similar issues. x locks-up just after typing startx - blank screen. haven't tried to get the log via ssh, but i guess i'd get something like the one above. however, here's my lspci output. we seem to have quite some hw in common, blakeyez. any known issues with this mboard or combination of ati+amd64?
    btw: i've had also problems with the gl drivers in windows on this machine (wolfenstein: enemy territory locking up after few seconds)

here's the lspci output:
    Code:
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
    00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
    00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
    00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1)
    00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
    02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]
    I haven't tried anything with this card on Windows (don't own a copy). You should definitely try logging into your machine via ssh (on mine it takes quite awhile for the password prompt to show up because of X hogging all the cpu, so let it sit for awhile before thinking it's not going to work). If you can confirm the same behavior, at least I wouldn't be alone with this issue

Comment

Originally posted by blakeyez View Post
      I haven't tried anything with this card on Windows (don't own a copy). You should definitely try logging into your machine via ssh (on mine it takes quite awhile for the password prompt to show up because of X hogging all the cpu, so let it sit for awhile before thinking it's not going to work). If you can confirm the same behavior, at least I wouldn't be alone with this issue
      I can confirm similar behavior - you're not alone

I've also noticed on mine, with it being a dual core CPU, X is using ~100% of the CPU and irqbalance is using the other 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Whitesell View Post
        I can confirm similar behavior - you're not alone

I've also noticed on mine, with it being a dual core CPU, X is using ~100% of the CPU and irqbalance is using the other 100%.
        Interesting, I don't see irqbalance hogging any CPU on my machine. What hardware do you have (mobo, video card)? Are you running in 64-bit?

Comment

Interesting, I don't see irqbalance hogging any CPU on my machine. What hardware do you have (mobo, video card)? Are you running in 64-bit?
          It's a Dell C521, configured with the AMD dual-core 3800, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA hard drive and the addin ATI X1300 video card with 256 MB memory.
          (More details here: http://www.dell.com/content/products...&~tab=specstab)

Yes, I'm running FC6, X86_64 flavor.

(Forgive my ignorance in advance, but if you ask me further questions about my setup, I may not be able to answer. I'm still new to X. I've been running various versions of Linux for over 5 years now, but only in text mode. (Servers, etc) This is the first time I've had the guts to try and run Linux as a desktop environment.)

Comment

Ack - forgot to mention in my earlier reply that the other process hogging the CPU would change. Each time I'd stop a "runnaway process", another one would start.

Specifically, when I first connected it was Automount. Stopping that shifted the load to 'hald-addon-acpi'. When I killed that, it shifted to gpm(!), and after that, irqbalance. At that point I issued a reboot command. Whatching top showed the various 'K' scripts running from the shutdown sequence, until K??sshd ran, then my session quit. (Go figure ) I waited a couple hours, and the shutdown never completed, so I felt forced to do a hard boot.
            Last edited by Ken Whitesell; 11 April 2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Ok, I'm cofused by this forum. I don't see my first reply, but do see my second. (I must've messed something up.)

Anyway, it's a Dell C521, AMD X2 3800+, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA HD, ATI X1300 w/256 MB. (Other details available on the Dell web site.)

I'm just in the process of installing FC6 on this system. Started from the re-spin DVD followed by a full yum update. Currently running kernel 2.6.20 64-bit build 2933.

Comment

i tried it a couple of times, but never got to log-in after lock-up. no ssh login prompt, ping works though so the machine shouldnt be completely dead. i waited for something like 5 mins - how long do you mean by "awhile" ? should i try and wait longer?

other than that, i tried various combinations of kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.19 and 2.6.20 with drivers from 8.32 to 8.35, but all of them either dont compile or lock up the computer (more or less the same way).
                also tried compiling the kernel for processor type 'classic pentium' and 'amd64' to the same result.

i'm using gcc 3.3.6 with glibc 2.1 - which versions are you using?

and more: do i need agp module if my card is using pcie?
                is there any sense in trying 2.4 kernel? if so which version would be most likelyto work - eg. something like 2.4.20 or the latest ones?

Comment

Working...
                X