Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDS 2008 In Less Than Two Weeks

Phoronix: XDS 2008 In Less Than Two Weeks

As a reminder, there's about a week and a half now until XDS 2008. The 2008 X Developers' Summit is taking place in Edinburgh, Scotland from the 3rd to 5th of September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what the decreased audience could mean..

Comment

In my case it means "I did enough travelling in the first half of the year to last me well into 2009"

If I had known at the time how much I was going to be away from home I would probably have skipped XDC and gone to XDS instead.
      Test signature

Comment

I wonder. How is the AMD and Intel relationship, when we talk open source GPU drivers?

I can't help but think that clearly AMD and Intel are each others biggest competitors...

Are competition set aside when we talk open source work?

Comment

If there is any competition it tends to be between individuals not between companies. I think everyone understands that the common challenges are bigger and more important than the progress one company makes relative to another.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            If there is any competition it tends to be between individuals not between companies. I think everyone understands that the common challenges are bigger and more important than the progress one company makes relative to another.
            I'd wish I could be at XDS to meet the big names!

Comment

I think the very late announcement of the XDS this year has played a role in that. I would've loved to go (and maybe talk about Piglit or some Radeon-related stuff), but I had already made plans for the first half of September when XDS was announced, so no chance.

Comment

It's probably worth mentioning that the lack of an organized program should not be a worry -- if I remember correctly the program always comes together at the very last minute. For example, we're not sure if Alex's first presentation will be:

- "using the 3d engine on 6xx/7xx", or
                - "status of getting the 3d engine on 6xx/7xx running", or
                - "why we don't think you need the 3d engine anyways"

One of the side effects of Daniel announcing a 50-person limit last year was that 50+ people signed up immediately then the numbers gradually dropped as people realized they couldn't go. I think you'll see the opposite this time -- relatively slow initial signup then a bunch of people jumping in at the last minute as they realize they *can* go.
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X