Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea... Gaming miniconf?

Checklist:

Take two linux gaming websites: Phoronix and Linux gamers.
    Add Linux Publishers: LGP, Igios and team13
    Nag i.d, Codeweavers and Transgaming
    Kindly request hardware manufacturers: Pandora, gp2x (Gamepark Holdings) and ATI to come along
    Start with a keynote by icculus (Ryan Gordon)
    Get Google to sponsor another Hackontest (http://www.hackontest.org/index.php?action=Root-about) specifically focused on games
    Attach an open day for the public to the event - filled with multiple stalls similar to Linux.conf.au

Anyone else have suggestions?... Sorry about the sms talk earlier - I was typing from an ipod touch and the keyboard is SHOCKING.
    Last edited by hmmm; 24 August 2008, 12:47 AM. Reason: corrected sms talk

Did anybody on earth understand what just happend? @.=.@

Comment

I guess you'll need a SMS-style translator in order to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Did anybody on earth understand what just happend? @.=.@
        Seemed like SMS-text-speak gibberish to me... >:-)

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
          Take phoronix + Linux gamers
          Add LGP igios n team13
          Nag id codeweavers n transgaming
          Ask pandora gp2x n ati 2 come along
          Keynote by icculus
          Get google 2 sponsor another Hackontest focused on games
          Open day 2 public filled with stalls like Linux conf au
          Any1else have suggestions
          1) Speak ENGLISH. SMS-texting lowers your impact when you don't need to limit the amount of text while conveying as much info as you can. Moreover, not everybody had a stepdaughter that would send this stuff to 'em and be able to get what you suggested...

2) A mini-conference might not be a bad idea. But it costs money to make one go. Fact: Linucon 1.0 cost something like ~$10K and lost about $5K that Rob Landley HAD to cover out of his own pocket, which isn't really bad for a new, fledgling con. I wouldn't mind being a GOH/Panelist for something like that, might even chunk in a bit of my own resources, but they're a bit stretched thin with varying personal projects of my own. Are you up to fronting that sort of cash? Keep in mind, you MIGHT get Ryan (icculus) and you MIGHT get TTimo and/or myself to show, but don't bet on iD, Deck13, CodeWeavers, or Transgaming to show up for it.

Comment

Oh god... now I get what he tried to tell. Never thought such a madness exists ( like typing SMS style on a forum... geez... did we get already *that* low? :/ )

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Oh god... now I get what he tried to tell. Never thought such a madness exists ( like typing SMS style on a forum... geez... did we get already *that* low? :/ )
              You've apparently never encountered someone l33tsp34king in a forum or in chat on IRC or elsewhere

Sort of like the joke about needing to translate "jive" from the original Airplane movie...

Comment

If you really want to do this, you need a way to underwrite it. Student groups in a Uni are good, as they tend to be massively effective fund-raisers when well organised, can frequently manage a venue on the cheap if not free, and generally can manage the staffing for free.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                  If you really want to do this, you need a way to underwrite it. Student groups in a Uni are good, as they tend to be massively effective fund-raisers when well organised, can frequently manage a venue on the cheap if not free, and generally can manage the staffing for free.
                  I'm thinking the best way to go about this would be to attach it to one of the major conferences - the combined Akademy/GUADEC sounds like a nice place for a mini conf.

With respect to bankrolling it - perhaps the best way would be to organise just one linux gaming panel at one of the conferences with ttimo (Timothy Besset), yourself, michael and icculus (Ryan Gordon). An alternate panel could be Stefan D?singer (Codeweavers), John Bridgemen (AMD), Dave Airlie (Red Hat) and craigx (OpenPandora)

I would view the event as more of a promotion/collaborative then a fundraiser - if we could generate enough noise to get the event picked up by IGN, Kotaku and Gamespot, it would spark interest in FOSS gaming...

BTW I corrected the sms speak earlier - completely unintentional
                  Last edited by hmmm; 24 August 2008, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Is this for a Linux gaming conference, or a design for a gaming configuration? It's hard to tell. I'm guessing conference.

My first suggestion is to speak plain English. Otherwise, short of being 13375P34K, it comes off like shorthand. No one understands it except it's writer.
                    Anyone notice how the digital age seems to have spawned new ways of writing that sound strangely like English? SMS, 1337, L0LCAT... WTF?
                    Also keep in mind this is a mainly technical forum. This means that we think in big ideas, full sentences, and a highly information technical vocabulary (how about connecting the Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) into Kerberos so you can interface with Active Directory, or release the adapter's TCPIP address on the Local Area Connection (LAN) then renew it so you can connect back to the router hooked up to the Wide Area Network (WAN)? words and phrases like this most people in here understand.

"When I want doctor talk I'll talk to a doctor." - Mal
                    "... You are talking to a doctor." - Simon
                    - Firefly - Objects in Space

"The valve on the port compression coil blew." - Kaylee
                    "Okay, now I need that in captain dummy talk." - Mal
                    "We're dead in the water." - Kaylee
                    - Firefly - Out of Gas

Now, the other suggestion is to find funds in order to pay the listed companies to come. I doubt they're going to come free of charge to talk on a panel. If they're invitees I doubt they'd have any interest as a company. Unless we have the cash to shell out to get them on a panel, they're not coming.

The hackontest thing, who's honestly going to bring their code to the seminar, and what will happen to the code after? Doesn't it go to Google? What's the point in that?

While it sounds like a great idea, I don't think there's enough interest in it on either side.

EDIT: Thanks for cleaning up the SMS. I know how you feel about the iPhone/iPod Touch keyboard incidentally. I had a barrel of fun dealing with it on my sister's iPhone.
                    Last edited by me262; 24 August 2008, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X