Catalyst 8.8 and poorer performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 8.8 and poorer performance

I installed the ati propriety catalyst 8.8 drivers and have seen a drop in both glxgears and fgl_gears FPS. I was getting a solid 16000+ FPS in GLX gears and with the new drivers I am getting 10,000+. Anyone else experience this, and if so haave they found a fix for it?

glxgears and fgl-glxgears are not proper benchmarks to gauge performance. My old x1950XT used to get higher glxgears scores than my current HD3850, yet it is obvious that the former is much slower in actual 3D performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      glxgears and fgl-glxgears are not proper benchmarks to gauge performance. My old x1950XT used to get higher glxgears scores than my current HD3850, yet it is obvious that the former is much slower in actual 3D performance.
      I understand that the two are not the best, but for a quick check they do give you a benchmark, and when you see a 6000 fps drop in peformance I would venture to say that there is an issue that will relate to your other benchmarks. The question I am asking is has anybody else seen a performance decrease with the new ATI driver, and if so are there settings they needed to tweak in Xorg.conf to get the performance back to where it was initially. Just for the record I am about 15 - 30 FPS slower in ETQW and UT 2004 as well.

Comment

I get 8000 with Radeon 4870, Catalyst 8.8, Ubuntu Hardy 64 bits generic kernel.

My previous 8800GT gives me 21000 with 169.12, and 15000 with 173.14.12

ETQW performance is worse than 8800GT, today the game hanged at initial menu, screen was corrupted with lots of very small boxes.
        Last edited by marakaid; 23 August 2008, 07:31 AM.

Comment

8.5-8.8 all provide the same level of performance for me for my HD3850.

Comment

It seems only for CrossFire you need 8-8. For wine 8-5 is still better...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              It seems only for CrossFire you need 8-8. For wine 8-5 is still better...

Yup. There is really no reason to upgrade beyond 8.5, unless the newer revisions have fixes that you can't live without. Overdrive is nice, but not really a must have (and given that it's rather limited in compatibility at the moment); the same with Crossfire.
              Last edited by Melcar; 23 August 2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by csalsb View Post
                I installed the ati propriety catalyst 8.8 drivers and have seen a drop in both glxgears and fgl_gears FPS. I was getting a solid 16000+ FPS in GLX gears and with the new drivers I am getting 10,000+. Anyone else experience this, and if so haave they found a fix for it?
                I am experimenting the same issue with a readeon HD4850. I had 8200 FPS in glxgears with the 8-7 version . Now I have 4500 FPS with the 8-8 driver.

Comment

I am not sure, but I have the impression that Neverball is quite laggy since 8.8.
                  However, I still have to check wether this could also be caused by KDE 4 running in background when I have some free time again.

Comment

For anyone seeing slower performance with 8.8 try the "nopat" boot option to disable the use of PAT and see if that helps.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X