Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Do you play on linux only right now?
    I was only speaking of the PC in this case... there is also a Wii, PS2, DS & PSP in this house. XP is on my system, but I don't do any gaming in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
      Can't you get Linux on an X-Box(-360)?
      The answer would be "yes"- but like buying Windows titles contributes to making more Windows titles...

A purchase of any X-Box product translates into more money in MS' pockets to do the things we don't like to us and sends a vote that you WANT that sort of thing.

Even buying an X-Box to put Linux on it is counterproductive.

Comment

Ah, but if you were given it, the MS vote already has been sent, so why not subvert the hardware?

Comment

@Svartalf: Yeah that's right. I chose a Singleton only as an example. I have seen people writing cluster-fucked code more ugly than spaghetti sent through a mill because they did not know/remember/whatever basic data structures or algorithms. For me coding is art. Everyone can write a program which works more or less but writing good code which runs good, looks good ( aka "self documenting code" ), is highly maintainable and extensible... that's an art... and I'm proud of being a real hacker ( and I hate un-artsy code :P ). Anyways, better not get derailed once again

@me262: Failing not planed? Something not all can do? Game-Dev is unfortunately no more the elite section it had been once. Granted the real elite ones are far and few in between but just look around the game development scene. Failing is an ever present threat there. I would really take getting turned down even if you are good into consideration. Better safe than sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            The answer would be "yes"- but like buying Windows titles contributes to making more Windows titles...

A purchase of any X-Box product translates into more money in MS' pockets to do the things we don't like to us and sends a vote that you WANT that sort of thing.

Even buying an X-Box to put Linux on it is counterproductive.
            More reason to buy a ps3 then. you can even install linux natively, with no hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
              Ah, but if you were given it, the MS vote already has been sent, so why not subvert the hardware?
              Well, I DID say if someone HANDED me one, I'd corrupt the thing completely from it's original purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                More reason to buy a ps3 then. you can even install linux natively, with no hacks.
                Indeed. I am, however, a bit ambivalent in that regard due to their parent's other division doing the Rootkit fiasco- yes, I know that SCEA didn't do it, but BMC IS Sony afterall. Something that narfy only comes from high-up within the company and they didn't have heads that rolled when it came out that they'd done this- first they wembled and tried to cover up the fact that they'd done this deed (and did it with someone else's software in the mix to boot, committing the very thing that they were allegedly trying to prevent, an infringement...) and then when they owned up to it, they had to be taken to court to be forced to stop doing it and to properly fix the machines they'd messed up.

Comment

This thread is sooooooooooooooooooooo off topic

Comment

Why are people so obsessed with muttering about how off topic threads get?

Comment

I'm guessing it's because this thread isn't a thread. It's a poll.
                      The minor fact that UT3 is on the PS3 prior to Linux not prevailing...

You could just do what I did. Buy a PS3 with a bad disc drive for 100 bucks and replace the laser assembly yourself... there's quite a few youtube videos out there that disassemble the thing

You've got to hand it though, a cheap 733 processor for 60 bucks from Gamestop, you can buy 4 of them for 240, and it would make for a decent distcc cluster, or just something specialized for different purposes... Yeah. it's not as good an idea than I originally thought, when you can get a 64-bit dual-core system for less than the cost of 4 of those machines. Best to do a PS3 for 100 (provided it can still read CD-ROMs, like mine did before I installed a new assembly).

Well, I hadn't really taken failure into account. This is what I want to do, and I have enough drive, and determination that it's what I will make happen for my life.
                      Besides the fact that with the 75k I'll be dumping into it, I'd better get something from it...

Comment

Working...
                      X