Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB

Phoronix: VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB

Earlier this week with the release of the Catalyst 8.8 driver we were first to deliver Linux CrossFire benchmarks for the Radeon HD 4800 series along with the first OverDrive for Linux article. With our initial CrossFire for Linux article we had delivered benchmarks from the Radeon HD 4850 and Radeon HD 4870, now though we are delivering the first Radeon HD 4870 X2 benchmarks under Ubuntu Linux. In this article we have our hands on the VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On page 2 there is a typo
    the Radeon HD 4850 X2 requires two 6-pin PCI-E connectors, and the Radeon HD 4870 X2 requires one 6-pin PCI-E and one 8-pin PCI-E connectors.
    As for the card it's a waste of money for a pure linux gamer are there are no games currently that can take advantage of this card.

Comment

why don't you provide any wine benchmarks?

the new radeon generation is overkill for current native linux games, the id ones included. it is just not reasonable to spend 550$ to play 3 games at high resolutions. it is like buying neo geo cartridges with getting less value.

just make some benchmarks with i. e. TES4:Oblivion, STALKER:SoC, HL2:EP2,Supreme Commander etc. Only then we will be able to see if this Radeon generation has any use for the majority of linux gamers. Testing 3 good games, 2 of them outdated seems to be a pointless effort. Everyone could have told you that these cards would probably run these games greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by mrt181 View Post
        why don't you provide any wine benchmarks?

the new radeon generation is overkill for current native linux games, the id ones included. it is just not reasonable to spend 550$ to play 3 games at high resolutions. it is like buying neo geo cartridges with getting less value.

just make some benchmarks with i. e. TES4:Oblivion, STALKER:SoC, HL2:EP2,Supreme Commander etc. Only then we will be able to see if this Radeon generation has any use for the majority of linux gamers. Testing 3 good games, 2 of them outdated seems to be a pointless effort. Everyone could have told you that these cards would probably run these games greatly.
        Well for one, Wine simply does not work on anything newer than 8.5. Maybe the ATI guys will finally fix it in 8.9.
        Second, no one has come up with a sensible benchmark for Wine using PTS. There is a thread about it where Michael already laid out the requirements for such a test.

Comment

I really, really hope that ATI and WINE devs can get together and figure out a solution. WINE is an enormous draw to me, giving me the chance to run my favorite games (WoW, Tabula Rasa, upcoming Warhammer, etc..) on Linux. If I can't at least have a chance of running my "daily play" games in Linux, there goes a percentage of time that I can spend in what is otherwise a superior OS.

I really hope one of the ATI gurus here can at least give us an update for WINE compatibility. Please, don't make my take my 4870x2 back to the store!

Comment

Working...
          X