Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 177.68 Beta Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA 177.68 Beta Driver

Tuesday the NVIDIA 177.67 Display Driver was released and then yesterday the ATI Catalyst 8.8 Driver came out with OverDrive and CrossFire support. Today though we are back with another NVIDIA Linux driver release. Due to fallout from the 177.67 driver, NVIDIA has replaced it just two days later with the 177.68 Beta.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Due to fallout from the 177.67 driver
    That's a bit a bit of sensationalism isn't it? Overall response for the 177.67 beta drivers were overall very well received. If anything they should be credited for keeping their customer's in the loop and releasing a new version when sufficient amount of bugs have been fixed.

The 177.68 driver did have a lot of changes from the 177.67, they were able to find and fix more bugs on a beta driver and released it to the public to try out in a extremely fast manner. Is that not after all what beta releases are for?

ATI's binary has had on going (and very old) bugs still not addressed in them either despite just releasing an "official" driver every month with the same bugs present over and over.

Comment

Well you have to realize this board is geared more towards ATI users. However that being said this is great coverage, and pretty non biased for a fan site. I'm using these new drivers on my Nvidia box and I'll report back my findings.

Comment

Hmm... I was initially quite pleased with the 177.67 drivers (they fixed the WINE problems I was having with 177.13, for instance) but I did also notice some weirdness (including one X hang).

There was also some extra corruption if I ran compiz without indirect rendering (with it, all is well - but sucky animation-wise... without it the animations are slick but various things redraw (or fail to) quite badly).

So.. I'll be interested to see if I can see a difference with 177.68.

Oh, as for the whole fallout thing... when was the last time that nvidia released a bugfix so quickly? Methinks that something convinced them to be quick about it this time

Update Well, well... 177.68 is running better for me than 177.67 did. Interesting
        Last edited by Adny; 22 August 2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

It would be helpful if you include a link to the actually Nvidia release note/changelog, wouldn't it?

Personally, I don't like how Phoronix arranges links in their articles, I understand it is good to have a high clicks rate so people tend to have links in their article that would link to other articles on their own website, but from a reader's point of view, most of the links in Phoronix's articles are useless to me.

Sorry if it is a bit off-topic.

Comment

BRAVO Nvidia.

Comment

What are we complaining about again?

Comment

I've used 166.67, and it worked fine. Now I'm using 166.68, and it works great as well (GF8600 GT).

Comment

It is still far from being reasonably correct. On my NVS 135M, in KDE 4.1, it takes a good 4-5 seconds just to resize konsole for instance. Try moving the folderview plasmoid, it is shaky (also the case on my 8800GT though whereas it is perfectly smooth with the 2D nv driver ...). There is some progress but still a very long way to go nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
                    It is still far from being reasonably correct. On my NVS 135M, in KDE 4.1, it takes a good 4-5 seconds just to resize konsole for instance. Try moving the folderview plasmoid, it is shaky (also the case on my 8800GT though whereas it is perfectly smooth with the 2D nv driver ...). There is some progress but still a very long way to go nvidia.
                    Did you apply the performance tweaks?

Comment

Working...
                    X