No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 8.10 To Use Linux 2.6.27 Kernel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 To Use Linux 2.6.27 Kernel?

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 To Use Linux 2.6.27 Kernel?

Generating buzz this morning with the release of the Linux 2.6.27-rc4 kernel is word that Ubuntu may switch to the Linux 2.6.27 kernel for their forthcoming 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" release. Canonical's Ben Collins has proposed on the Ubuntu development mailing list that Intrepid be switched to using the Linux 2.6.27 kernel instead of using 2.6.26.The reasons for this expected switch so late in the development cycle is the updated mac80211, updated to ALSA 1.0.17 codecs, obtain Xen 64 para-virtualization, and use an updated version of the Kernel-based Virtual Machine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good idea. Ath9k is also in there.

Comment

And the updates to USB...

Comment

wow if they pull of the switch its bloody awesome - ath5k eee wifi patches should hit 2.6.27 too!!!

i heard some grumbling a while back about ubuntu backporting alot of features into their "older" kernels - was it all just noise?

Comment

Originally posted by danjeel View Post
          Good idea. Ath9k is also in there.
          +1 here for Ath9k

Having to carry over and re-install madwifi-ng and set up wpasupplicant.conf manually to get updates everytime I install Ubuntu is getting anoying. Out of the box support would be great!

Comment

I hope it just doesn't screw up badly.

Comment

Originally posted by francois View Post
              +1 here for Ath9k

Having to carry over and re-install madwifi-ng and set up wpasupplicant.conf manually to get updates everytime I install Ubuntu is getting anoying. Out of the box support would be great!
              wow

gspca drivers hit 2.6.27 too - http://lwn.net/Articles/291036/
              im actually pretty psyched about this possibility - i was considering switching to the fedora 10 as my next distro but xserver 1.5 and the new kernel!!!

pity im reliant on ndis till the airgo wireless drivers mature...

Comment

Well if they are going to put something this cutting edge, they better do a lot more test before 8.10 is finally released in October. I am still having problem with the pulseaudio stuff that comes standard in 8.04. I guess most people don't mind to have a newer version of software/driver/kernel as long as it doesn't cause more trouble than it solves.

Comment

But can we focus at fixing the Hardy's kernel now? Ubuntu shipped 2.6.24 really sucks. A few people already tried Intrepid's 2.6.26 and hibernation is working again on many computers.

Comment

I don't get why this "news" is newsworthy at all?
                    You can git-clone Linus' repository any time and compile a bleeding
                    edge kernel yourself...

Comment

Working...
                    X