Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD OverDrive On Linux

Phoronix: AMD OverDrive On Linux

When it comes to ATI hardware, one of the features we have been after for the longest time on Linux has been any overclocking support. Windows users have ATI's OverDrive at their disposal along with an arsenal of third-party utilities such as ATI Tool. NVIDIA also has various utilities for overclocking their graphics cards on Windows, but they also provide support for overclocking on Linux. Today though with the release of the Catalyst 8.8 Linux driver there is finally ATI OverDrive 5 support on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds nice, but it's a shame they've limited to the 4xxx series :/

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
      This sounds nice, but it's a shame they've limited to the 4xxx series :/
      It should work on the 2600 and 3000 series too.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        It should work on the 2600 and 3000 series too.
        Actually, what I meant is support for Xxxx or Xxxxx series, like the X1900 or X1650 and so on. Guess they're too old to be supported right now..

Comment

Underclocking?

is it possible to underclock the GPU core and mem as well?, I for one am thinking about putting together a HTPC and would want it the graphic adapter to run as cooler than the original spec design to make the whole system generate as little heat as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamester17 View Post
            is it possible to underclock the GPU core and mem as well?, I for one am thinking about putting together a HTPC and would want it the graphic adapter to run as cooler than the original spec design to make the whole system generate as little heat as possible.
            korpus:/home/metala# aticonfig --od-setclocks=790,700
            ERROR - Set clocks failed for Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
            Please check that input values were valid
            korpus:/home/metala# aticonfig --od-setclocks=800,700

Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
            New Core Peak : 800
            New Memory Peak : 700
            korpus:/home/metala#
            It seems not. Values lower than default clock are not accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by metala View Post
              It seems not. Values lower than default clock are not accepted.
              Pity, underclocking would be handy in HTPC applications for the new "hot and noisy" cards. Hopefully this feature is enabled in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka-Pekka View Post
                Pity, underclocking would be handy in HTPC applications for the new "hot and noisy" cards. Hopefully this feature is enabled in the future!
                Isn't that what PowerPlay is supposed to be for?

Comment

Unfortunately not all cards support Powerplay (e.g. my MSI X1950Pro does not).

What I did was flash an underclocked BIOS to my X1950 (300MHz core instead of 675MHz), which improved power consumption, noise and heat output significantly. On Windows, I'm using overdrive with auto 3d detection to reset the clocks when gaming. That's not possible on Linux yet (no overdrive support for X1950), but the reduced noise makes up for the performance loss

Comment

Originally posted by Original Article
                    We'll also be shipping a Phoronix Test Suite module that automatically runs various OpenGL programs and will automatically overclock the graphics core and memory frequencies by a few megahertz each time until it finds the point of losing stability.
                    So, this auto-overclocking suite... did that ever pan out? Which one is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X