AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kusuriya View Post
    if your still having issues with the checkerboard of doom another user pointed
    out that its kinda a regression bug and if you put "virtual X Y" with X being the next mutliple of 64 of your screen res in your screens section, wine will work and not totally fubar your screen. IE i use 3360x1050 my virtual is 3392x1050 soo it goes

Subsection Display
    Depth 24
    Virtual 3392 1050
    Thanks! That worked for me! No more problems with Wine, though my resolution is 1280x1024 and

SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1281 1024

was enough for getting rid of this stupid "checkerboard of doom".

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
      Thanks! That worked for me! No more problems with Wine, though my resolution is 1280x1024 and

SubSection "Display"
      Virtual 1281 1024

The work around is sufficient but a real fix would be nice :P now if i could just get 8.8 to install right ill be happy. i just keep getting error: too many arguments to function 'smp_call_function' cant figure out what its missing inorder for it to work :P

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
        Yeah, however, Xine is the best DVD-playback alternative wrt. to menus and stuff. VLC does some of it, but has bugs with DVD menu handling. Xine kinda rocks in that area. MPlayer, of course, plays DVDs, but I live in 2008, and I refuse to guess the correct title just to watch a bloody movie . I want to click the menu-stuff, because DVD has been around for a looong time now . Too bad MPlayer doesn't support menus, or I wouldn't need anything else ...
        yes but did you miss that part :P xine does have a native opengl playback module

Comment

my system freezes on heavy cpu/gpu load for a second (or more) using compiz....

wow! you ATI guys are fast adding new "features"

Comment

The Unforgiven!

Well guys let me tell you my experience here...
            My system: Radeon HD 3450+HD 3200 Hybrid Crossfire,
            openSuSE 11 x64 KDE4,
            Xorg 7.3

With this driver release I was expecting to be really happy but today I believe is not my day(If you consider also that our basketball team didn't entered the top4 teams at the olympiad for just 2 points after a thriller match...) and when I installed Catalyst 8.8 bad luck continued!

I will start with the bad ones which some of them are introduced with this release! The unforgiven ones!

No support for my (poor peoples) Hybrid Crossfire. Although I could establish a chain HD 3200 is not loaded and reports video bios signature error at Xorg.0.log.

I cannot Logout or restart X!! Always system freeze! Big New Problem!

XV video playback still flickers when Compiz or KDE's composite window manager is working whereas this issue is FIXED! for TexturedVideo ports at opensource xf86-video-ati driver!
            By the way as other folks already told with Xine when the video ends everything hangs...

My beloved RACER rally excellent simulator game is not usable anymore!
            It starts normally (as always did) I choose car-track and when it comes to enter the racing track it segfaults!! Damn!

Something more technical now, TexturedXRender Option is still broken for non-composite environments...

What do we need adaptive antialiasing and OverDrive if games segfault?..
            And furthermore what do we need an only commercial game usable Crossfire for?

And the good one(s)...

AMDCCCLE is not segfaulting anymore when I used to enable Hybrid Crossfire at system BIOS. Now I have HCF always on(I mean the last 35 minutes).

Open to suggestions...

Downgrading to 8.7 seems a really wise decision
            Anyway I will test more OPENSOURCE 3D games to see any differences..

Truly Yours

Jim
            Last edited by djdoo; 20 August 2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Works fine so far. On my HD3850 the only things that bug me are Wine and the lack of mipmaps with Compiz. On my 200M things seem to work like always, meaning no major problems.

Comment

News:
                Sauerbraten, nexuiz, neverball, no gravity, gl 117, tuxracer, and rest of 3D games I have here are working same speeds, good overall.

Only RACER has this problem perhaps it is some games related (cause Michael also spoke about some segfaults in GL games at the article)... I must investigate it further...

Comment

I got an extra 100fps in fgl_glxgears, but urban terror framerate is basically the same. No problems though, so that's something

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                    News:
                    Sauerbraten, nexuiz, neverball, no gravity, gl 117, tuxracer, and rest of 3D games I have here are working same speeds, good overall.

Only RACER has this problem perhaps it is some games related (cause Michael also spoke about some segfaults in GL games at the article)... I must investigate it further...

Warsow segfaults also. Add that to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post

SubSection "Display"
                      Virtual 1281 1024

Me too.
                      Sauerbraten still crashes on certain fullscreen toggle events, but that isn't an immediate problem.

Now hopefully we'll actually see it FIXED in the next release...

Comment

Working...
                      X