AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
    Right now I don't even know if they've added this to their internal bug tracker, never mind reproduction, analysis, or potential fixes, so we may as well treat it as 3 years to fix time, and even then we should thank ourselves lucky.
    They are aware of the WINE issues and it will be addressed in the near future.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      They are aware of the WINE issues and it will be addressed in the near future.
      Well, but they are having releases once a month, and that means we'll have fix no sooner than on 3rd Wednesday of September :/

Comment

ut2004 sucks with the 8.8 drivers. Every couple of seconds is a complete lockup for a second. Well, the graphics lock, the game goes on. The bot shot you? Bad luck. You fell of a building to your death? Bad luck.

btw, why doesn't phoronix use ut2004 in its reviews?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          btw, why doesn't phoronix use ut2004 in its reviews?
          Because it's not really demanding on the graphics card. Though ut2004-demo is in the Phoronix Test Suite.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

but testing with 3x the same engine isn't very conclusive either.

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post

Most happy to hear about fixes to segfaulting because of Textured Video. Let's see how this release turns out ...
              Nice, X still bombs when Xine reaches the end of a video stream using XV. Why not fix crashers and stability bugs before introducing new features only relevant to gamers, like Crossfire and OverDrive ? *Sigh*.

Comment

Nice, X still bombs when Xine reaches the end of a video stream using XV. Why not fix crashers and stability bugs before introducing new features only relevant to gamers, like Crossfire and OverDrive ? *Sigh*.
                In the same token it can be said why use XV Xine and Mplayer do have an Native openGL mode but yeah some bug fixes would kick ass... but I am sure they will come... I still have confidence

Comment

And guess what, putting Xine in OpenGL mode, then going fullscreen and back just freezes Xine completely, keyboard is unresponsive. SSH+killall xine did however kill it, and the normal desktop returned. Other times, Xine just segfaults, but it doesn't bring X down when using OpenGL, at least.

MPlayer behaves like crap with OpenGL-output now (-vo gl:yuv=2), going fullscreen and back results in a checker-board effect (complete desktop corruption), however quitting MPlayer restores desktop back to normal. Thankfully, it doesn't crash X when using XV, like Xine does.

VLC doesn't seem to trigger anything nasty in XV-mode. Haven't tried OpenGL-mode with VLC yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kusuriya View Post
                    In the same token it can be said why use XV Xine and Mplayer do have an Native openGL mode but yeah some bug fixes would kick ass... but I am sure they will come... I still have confidence
                    Yeah, however, Xine is the best DVD-playback alternative wrt. to menus and stuff. VLC does some of it, but has bugs with DVD menu handling. Xine kinda rocks in that area. MPlayer, of course, plays DVDs, but I live in 2008, and I refuse to guess the correct title just to watch a bloody movie . I want to click the menu-stuff, because DVD has been around for a looong time now . Too bad MPlayer doesn't support menus, or I wouldn't need anything else ...

Comment

Fullscreen OpenGL

Seems like there's a problem with many OpenGL-apps when going fullscreen and then back to normal. At least, it happens with Flash Player with hardware-acceleration enabled (Youtube fullscreen, for instance), MPlayer, Xine and glxgears. Desktop enters retarted checkerboard-corruption-state .. Quitting the OpenGL-app restores it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X