No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one disable PAT? Because I'm getting that irritating jerkiness with compiz.

Regards

Andr?

Comment

• kernel command line: nopat

Comment

• So I need to recompile the kernel? Or do you mean that I just at nopat in grub?

Regards

Andr?

Comment

• just nopat in grub

Comment

• Hmm, since they've added Xfire support, has anybody tried the new drivers with a 3870X2 card, by any chance. I just got all excited and then i checked the "supported cards" sheet and it says that they're not currently supported... bahh..

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBBLeS View Post
              Hmm, since they've added Xfire support, has anybody tried the new drivers with a 3870X2 card, by any chance. I just got all excited and then i checked the "supported cards" sheet and it says that they're not currently supported... bahh..

Only rv770 and r700 are supported at the moment.
              Last edited by Melcar; 22 August 2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• More trouble for me

I just installed 8.8 and I've had more trouble with it than I did with 8.6/8.7. With compiz effects enabled, I still get flickering video with the xv setting, but unlike 8.6, Catalyst 8.8 corrupts the video after exiting full screen mode, and I have to play around until I find the close button for MPlayer so the video goes back to normal. Alt+F4 is a very handy key combo in this situation.

I'm going to roll back to the previous drivers. I had high hopes that the new driver would at least fix the flickering issues in MPlayer, but it I can only hold my head down now since it just worsen things.

I didn't run into any of this trouble with my Geforce 7900gs. It would play all my videos fine without any flickering with compiz enabled. That's all I care about, really. (Kinda wish that card didn't die on me)

I game on Windows, so I don't really care if certain games have trouble in Linux. I know a lot of people do, indeed, game on Linux, but I'm sure everyone would very much welcome a driver that allowed you to at least play videos (in a window or fullscreen) without it screwing up.

Sapphire Radeon HD4850

Comment

• I know I say this a lot, but man, I'm glad I have an R500. With last week's git snapshots of xf86-video-ati, it finally Just Works. Don't have to worry about what broke in THIS month's catalyst release.

I don't understand their three-month development cycle. I mean, it sounds great on paper. From the user's perspective, though, it seems like they code for a month, sit around and think about their upcoming month of coding, then shove the driver out the door. I mean, quality assurance? beta release? really? If they actually DID those, how could they miss the bugs we complain about daily on these forums?

Comment

• OpenGL screensavers "hang" on exit (again)

This looks like a regression: Try running any of the OpenGL xscreensaver hacks found in the /usr/libexec/xscreensaver/ directory and then press ESC. With fglrx 8.8, I no longer get my command line back.

I know I had this problem several releases ago, but thought that it had been fixed.

Comment

• KDE 4.1 doesn't even work for me with this driver version.

Comment

Working...
                      X