Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAT =

@taipan

hard numbers are hard to get. But if you look at the stories at the inquirer, the register and elsewhere it looks very grim.
    And please don't forget that nvidia needed more than half a year to 'fix' their problems with kde4.

Comment

Originally posted by Tesseract View Post
      This is a common problem with fglrx and wine(http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13335). Run WoW in console and check whether it says:
      Code:
      libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed
      libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
      If you have it, then try to run it with unlimited stack size by using "ulimit -s unlimited" before running WoW. For me, it fixes the libGL error and allows to play WoW with high framerates at maximum settings.
      Hmm, gonna try that in a minute.
      What card do you have BTW?

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
        Hmm, gonna try that in a minute.
        What card do you have BTW?
        I have a Radeon HD4850 (from Powercolor).

Comment

Originally posted by Tesseract View Post
          I have a Radeon HD4850 (from Powercolor).
          No wonder you're getting High FPS :P
          I have a mere X1650 Pro (plan on getting a higher card in a week or so, but with the way things are looking, it could be an nVIDIA)
          But still, if X1650 Pro can achieve high FPS in Windows, it should in Linux too.

Comment

why? wine is a fat, slow abstraction layer. Also X isn't the fastest graphic subsystem in existance...

Comment

still no fedora 9 support?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                why? wine is a fat, slow abstraction layer. Also X isn't the fastest graphic subsystem in existance...
                You must not use Wine, then.
                Wine makes the claim that most games run as fast or faster than as on Windows--and I've generally found this to be true.
                I'm playing Doom 3 through Wine right now, and I'm regularly getting about 60-70 FPS (Radeon X1600 Pro, Catalyst 8.8, Kubuntu 8.04). Very smooth and absolutely playable.

Anyway, this is all off-topic. How 'bout them ATI drivers.

Comment

and you believe the app? I remember times when ut2004 reported something way over 500fps with certain kernels - and was completly unplayable. Or being 'double speed' thanks to timer related glitches ....

Comment

Actually, in Windows UT2004 is as smoth as silk with crazy high FPS but,smoothness above all.

In Ubuntu 8.04 64bit with latest catalyst 8.8 is very VERY choppy and it slows down in some areas, barely playable for my standards and I own a a pair or Sapphire Radeon HD4850 OCed and in Crossfire.

And yes, I actually activated Crossfire in Linux, no difference whatsoever in UT2004, it's still very choppy !!!

Comment

• as root do
                      echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

if cpu freq scaling is active ut2004 is unplayable no matter which card you use.

Comment

Working...
                      X