No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, after disabling PAT in the kernel everything seems to work ok with these drivers (at least everything that worked ok with 8.5). My previous rant was a bit premature. No more hardlocks when exiting X, no more weird screen corruptions without compiz, and overdrive is a nice feature.

Now the only things that remain to be fixed/added (for me) are:
    - xv: washed colors
    - xv: flickering when windowed with desktop effects enabled
    - xv: tearing
    - opengl apps: screen corruption with desktop effects enabled (at least with windowed apps, haven't tried in fullscreen)
    and the driver will be perfect (assuming that the infamous wine bug 13335 is wine's fault).

Comment

seems that PAT is still pretty unstable. Nvidia users have the same problem. Enable PAT and see 3d apps stutter.

Comment

Can anyone who plays WoW on Linux (using Cedega/Wine or whatever) comment on the the difference in performance between Linux and Windows?
        In Windows, I can set the settings to highest, and it would not drop below 30 FPS, in D3D mode. In OpenGL, it was only a tad slower, reaching 20-25 FPS rarely.
        In Linux, It's so much slower, never reaching above 25 in highest settings, and in default, never topping 35. Using Wine or Cedega only makes a few FPS of difference, and D3D is a few frames slower(although I like it because I can use Specular Lighting)
        I tried a WoW script to launch it in a separate X server, and although it did feel faster, it's still not as fast as in Windows, and there is no sound with this method.
        I'm not sure what's to fault in here, but I've seen lots of nVidia users report having same/higher FPS in Linux than in Windows, so maybe this is a ATI driver issue being slower than the Windows driver?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong.

To disable PAT you have to put "nopat" at the end of the kernel line, right after ro quiet, right?

after typing

dmesg | grep PAT

i see -> [fglrx] PAT is enabled sucessfully!

what is wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by EagleDM View Post
            dmesg | grep PAT

i see -> [fglrx] PAT is enabled sucessfully!

what is wrong ?
            I get that too, but I suppose if PAT is disabled in the kernel it doesn't matter that it is enabled in the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by roberth View Post
              Is AMD aware of the tearing with XV michael?
              Yes, of course.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                For those experiencing the seg faults, two important questions:

- Are you using 32-bit OpenGL apps on a 64-bit installation?

- Are you using any AA/AF?
                Yes, with eg. Nexuiz (I posted this in the 8.7 thread), I have problems with the 32-bit version, and no problems with the 64-bit binary on my 64-bit OS - is this well-known enough to be a "known issue", or are there workarounds?

Comment

what does PAT stand for?

Comment

As I promise you I came back with a report about nvidia and kde4. I couldn't take that laptop, I put my hands on a desktop with a nvidia card (here : http://omnidatagrup.ro/~taipan/amd/desktop.html is the specs).
                    I install debian sid/experimenatl, kde4, nvidria driver (177.67), tweak the driver (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088) turn on composite in kwin (Xrender).
                    I want to tell you something: KDE4 is flying like I've never seen it before, only some slowdown when i move, resize folderview plasmoid, resizing, moving, or maximizing windows are very very quick like on an intel card.

On my ATI Mob. 3650 HD if I have composite turn on when I try to resize, move or maximize a windows it take 3-4 to 10 seconds. If I turn off the composite KDE4 became usable.

I want to say something about only about NVidia and ATI support and binary drivers (I'm NOT talking about AMD decision to free the specs, God bless AMD !!!).

Today I hate NVidia, and I am so envious ...
                    In a early post you tell me:
                    wrong. Nvidia does give you nothing but hope. AMD gives you freedom of choice and alternatives.
                    It's seems you was wrong .

What nvidia did so wrong?
                    - first they give users hope, they release a beta (very promising) driver, with some problems.
                    - THEY ASK their users for help.
                    - THEY LISTEN their users, and collect the issue.
                    - THEY FIX (some) issue and , BOOM, they release another beta driver.
                    This is what I'm talking about !!!

BRAVO NVidia !!!

When ATI will do that ?
                    I want to see that day ...

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    oh - emm, you know that laptops with 8X00m and 9X00m onboard graphics are dying in huge numbers right now? And if the inquirer and some other sites is to believe, all 8/9xxxm (and even discrete gpus) are defective. It is not a matter of 'will it fail' but 'will it fail while still covered by warranty?'
                    I don't want to say this is a lie but I have some remarks:

- I personally don't know, or hear someone who have a nvidia 8/9xxx(m) to have a problem. I'm talking only about people/companies I know.
                    - I read some stories about this problem but no one give numbers. You say they are dying in huge numbers. How huge are this numbers? What is the percent ? >1%, >10% ?
                    - When NVidia will go out of business that will be the worst day in computer history. That day will make ati a video card microsoft. And from that day competition and innovation will be killed. I want to ask you something: Do you think if Nvidia is dead, AMD will give you a radeon 4870 with 200Euro (~300$) ?

Again BRAVO NVidia
                    I just hope ATI will follow your example.

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                      Can anyone who plays WoW on Linux (using Cedega/Wine or whatever) comment on the the difference in performance between Linux and Windows?
                      In Windows, I can set the settings to highest, and it would not drop below 30 FPS, in D3D mode. In OpenGL, it was only a tad slower, reaching 20-25 FPS rarely.
                      In Linux, It's so much slower, never reaching above 25 in highest settings, and in default, never topping 35. Using Wine or Cedega only makes a few FPS of difference, and D3D is a few frames slower(although I like it because I can use Specular Lighting)
                      I tried a WoW script to launch it in a separate X server, and although it did feel faster, it's still not as fast as in Windows, and there is no sound with this method.
                      I'm not sure what's to fault in here, but I've seen lots of nVidia users report having same/higher FPS in Linux than in Windows, so maybe this is a ATI driver issue being slower than the Windows driver?
                      This is a common problem with fglrx and wine(http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13335). Run WoW in console and check whether it says:
                      Code:
                      libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed
                      libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
                      If you have it, then try to run it with unlimited stack size by using "ulimit -s unlimited" before running WoW. For me, it fixes the libGL error and allows to play WoW with high framerates at maximum settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X