AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is something fishy with xv.

tvtime: a small jerk every couple of seconds.
    mplayer -vo x11 everything ok
    mplayer -vo xv a big jerk every couple of seconds and:
    arecord -D hw:1,0 -r 48000 -c 2 -f S16_LE | aplay -D hw:0,0
    Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
    Playing WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
    overrun!!! (at least 1219253171204,034 ms long)
    underrun!!! (at least 1219253171580,699 ms long)
    underrun!!! (at least 1219253171286,251 ms long)
    overrun!!! (at least 1219253171200,482 ms long)

on a 3870, kde4.1 desktop effects turned off.

No problem with the 8.7 release.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
      But have they fixed that damned checkerboard corruption in MythTV / Wine / lots of other programs?

Really, if they haven't fixed that after the amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth around here, then someone at AMD ought to be waterboarded.
      Well, in the article on Phoronix it is said that there are no fixes for performance in wine, which is quite sad :/ I hope they'll make it one day :P

Comment

If there still no solution for wine? Or a workaround?

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
          The problem here, from what I've heard, is that AMD doesn't have a team kicking out a driver every month. I've heard it's actually 3 teams with offset quarterly releases. Therefore when the Checkerboard of Doom was first spotted back in 8.6, it was already too late to fix it in 8.7 or 8.8, but probably will be fixed in 8.9. If it took >2-3 weeks to find the root cause and make a fix, it could be 8.10 or later before we get a proper fix.
          Hate to state the obvious, but that is really dumb if true. That would mean their latency is three months for everything! Oh yipee, we have crossfire and overclocking... that'll really help me with my laptop They really need to draw a line in the sand, and pick a release to call stable. No new features, just get it working properly with fixes. Then they can have their new features in an unstable release. Once they have a new release that contains all fixes from the stable, checked as OK, then that can become the next stable release.

However, this constant rolling breakage and regression is really annoying people. I'm a placid kinda guy, and very reasonable, but c'mon. For MythTV alone, we had blue tinting, then video tearing, then checkerboarding. As one issue gets fixed, another is introduced.

There is no point in monthly updates if each one is just as broken as the last.

@ Michael - If you are confirming the three months before we see a fix then I have this to ask: If there was an issue affecting the Windows drivers as badly as the checkerboarding is Linux, do you think they would wait 3 months to issue a fix? I have no problem with following a process, but I do have a problem with blindly following one without exception.

(Just to note, I haven't actually tried the release, so I might be getting worked up for no reason...)

Originally posted by Forge View Post
          In the meantime using Xorg libs instead of ATI ones (forced AIGLX for all) is a workaround for me and some.

Just be happy, RadeonHD is coming.
          Could you point me to some details about the workaround?
          Last edited by kiwi_kid_aka_bod; 20 August 2008, 02:11 PM. Reason: clarify question to Forge

Comment

Could you point me to some details about the workaround?

About 1/2 to 2/3 the way down the page, dscharrer discovered the way to trigger the X libs switch on Gentoo. Other distros would need to do slightly different things to get the same effect.

Basically, instead of the app talking to the driver and the driver accelerating, the app talks to X, X talks to the driver, and the driver accelerates.

It's actually very retro-tech, this was how all 3D worked prior to DRI/Nvidia. It works though, and that's 99% of what I need.

Comment

Hi,
              Since catalyst 8.3 i have this problem with new catalyst.
              I have connect PC to TV (dvi-hdmi) and there is a black border aroud. It is in all resolution. When i change ref. rate from 60Hz to 50Hz i doesn't help.Only in res. 1920x1080_30Hz all is correct but this ref. rate is to small.

Comment

ac 8.8 & kde4

Has the same poor 2d performance.

I think I have to wait until amd release the docs for m86 and r600 cards.

KDE 4 is far from been usable.

If I turn on effects on kwin (Xrender or Opengl) then if I resizing a window it will takes ages, I need a calendar to measure that.

Their drivers it's like their support, sucks big time.

Comment

@ Michael - If you are confirming the three months before we see a fix then I have this to ask: If there was an issue affecting the Windows drivers as badly as the checkerboarding is Linux, do you think they would wait 3 months to issue a fix? I have no problem with following a process, but I do have a problem with blindly following one without exception.
                  For all fixes you don't have to wait three months. It's a matter of where they are in the development cycle for a given month, how invasive the fix is, how much interest there would be in backporting the fix, and whether their real customers are impacted by the bug.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

is there an ebuild yet? or I should create it by myself?

Comment

I copied the ebuild for 8.512 from the bugzilla and removed the patch lines. Worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X