Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Hybrid View

Default AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

AMD had delivered same-day Linux support when launching the Radeon HD 4800 series this summer. This was a first for AMD when launching a major product revision that there was same-day support considering for the R500 and R600 (and earlier) generations it had taken months for any level of support on Linux. This was great to see and the Radeon HD 4850/4870 performance was terrific thanks to their new OpenGL driver introduced last September. Today AMD has announced another Catalyst driver release for Linux and this is arguably the most significant driver update since last October's release when AIGLX support was added. Catalyst 8.8 delivers CrossFire support on Linux, OverDrive overclocking support, adaptive anti-aliasing support, and other improvements.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12767

Yay they have actually fixed tearing in normal window rendering, now tearing in x-video needs to be fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by roberth View Post
    Yay they have actually fixed tearing in normal window rendering, now tearing in x-video needs to be fixed!
    the joke of xv video is still continuing ...

Not available here yet:
    http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html

But this link works:
    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run

Most happy to hear about fixes to segfaulting because of Textured Video. Let's see how this release turns out ...

Quote Originally Posted by oyvind View Post

Most happy to hear about fixes to segfaulting because of Textured Video. Let's see how this release turns out ...
    Nice, X still bombs when Xine reaches the end of a video stream using XV. Why not fix crashers and stability bugs before introducing new features only relevant to gamers, like Crossfire and OverDrive ? *Sigh*.

Nice, X still bombs when Xine reaches the end of a video stream using XV. Why not fix crashers and stability bugs before introducing new features only relevant to gamers, like Crossfire and OverDrive ? *Sigh*.
    In the same token it can be said why use XV Xine and Mplayer do have an Native openGL mode but yeah some bug fixes would kick ass... but I am sure they will come... I still have confidence

Quote Originally Posted by kusuriya View Post
    In the same token it can be said why use XV Xine and Mplayer do have an Native openGL mode but yeah some bug fixes would kick ass... but I am sure they will come... I still have confidence
    Yeah, however, Xine is the best DVD-playback alternative wrt. to menus and stuff. VLC does some of it, but has bugs with DVD menu handling. Xine kinda rocks in that area. MPlayer, of course, plays DVDs, but I live in 2008, and I refuse to guess the correct title just to watch a bloody movie . I want to click the menu-stuff, because DVD has been around for a looong time now . Too bad MPlayer doesn't support menus, or I wouldn't need anything else ...

Default Fullscreen OpenGL

Seems like there's a problem with many OpenGL-apps when going fullscreen and then back to normal. At least, it happens with Flash Player with hardware-acceleration enabled (Youtube fullscreen, for instance), MPlayer, Xine and glxgears. Desktop enters retarted checkerboard-corruption-state .. Quitting the OpenGL-app restores it back.

Yeah, however, Xine is the best DVD-playback alternative wrt. to menus and stuff. VLC does some of it, but has bugs with DVD menu handling. Xine kinda rocks in that area. MPlayer, of course, plays DVDs, but I live in 2008, and I refuse to guess the correct title just to watch a bloody movie . I want to click the menu-stuff, because DVD has been around for a looong time now . Too bad MPlayer doesn't support menus, or I wouldn't need anything else ...
    yes but did you miss that part :P xine does have a native opengl playback module

And guess what, putting Xine in OpenGL mode, then going fullscreen and back just freezes Xine completely, keyboard is unresponsive. SSH+killall xine did however kill it, and the normal desktop returned. Other times, Xine just segfaults, but it doesn't bring X down when using OpenGL, at least.

MPlayer behaves like crap with OpenGL-output now (-vo gl:yuv=2), going fullscreen and back results in a checker-board effect (complete desktop corruption), however quitting MPlayer restores desktop back to normal. Thankfully, it doesn't crash X when using XV, like Xine does.

VLC doesn't seem to trigger anything nasty in XV-mode. Haven't tried OpenGL-mode with VLC yet.