No announcement yet.

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L & EP45T-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, those boards have TPM's so if you don't like hardware DRM, then stay away

Comment

Usally it is not a bad thing. And if you don't like it you usally can disable it in BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Usally it is not a bad thing. And if you don't like it you usally can disable it in BIOS.
        By purchasing products with DRM capabilities built into the hardware, you are rewarding the companies that do that and encouraging others to do the same. It is the same situation with buying Windows games that Svartlaf keeps hammering on about. It is also why people are calling for boycotts against LGP products that have DRM.

Trusted Computing is by far the vilest among those.

Comment

Ram question

I like the look of this Mobo: http://www.awd-it.co.uk/scripts/prod...idproduct=4500 that Phoronix reviewed but will it also support DDR2 Ram? Looked a Gigabyte web site but its not clear?

Helen

Comment

Originally posted by helliewm View Post
            I like the look of this Mobo: http://www.awd-it.co.uk/scripts/prod...idproduct=4500 that Phoronix reviewed but will it also support DDR2 Ram? Looked a Gigabyte web site but its not clear?

Helen
            There is the model EP45-DS3R which is just as the EP45T-DS3R but supporting DDR2. (The EP45Ts supports DDR3).

You can take a look at it here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2842

I bought this motherboard and the LGA775's plastic cover says "Foxconn" (maybe they're producing these for Gigabyte?)

Comment

I'm currently using Gigabyte EP45-DS3R on my main computer, with Debian Lenny and Ubuntu Hardy with Intrepid kernel.
              The instruction manual about TPM chip tells that with some included Windows software you can use it to encrypt a hard disk partition and unencrypt with a USB memory with the key, instead of typing it, and not loosing performance.
              I think that with a good enough computer you will not notice the difference if you are not measuring it with testing software.

Comment

With the Intel ICH10/ICH10R Southbridge a distribution using the Linux 2.6.26 kernel or newer is required. If using an older kernel, the Serial ATA disk controller will not be detected.
                I just got the GA EP45-DS4, and coming from a Sempron system with Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04) I just had to plug the hardrive, no need to use 8.10 or update the kernel.

My kernel is 2.6.24-19, and the hd is a SATA one. AHCI and native SATA mode are no problem either (while, according to the manual, you'll need to create a floppy disk with the drivers for AHCI - not just for RAID - when installing XP). I didn't try RAID, but I'd use software RAID anyway.

So, at least with Ubuntu, everything works ok (suspend/hibernate with a 7900GS as gfx, sound/network, etc...).

I was expecting everything to work flawlessly anyways :P

Comment

Hi i just purchased this board along with an e8400 and 2gb of ddr3, but i didnt realize it might have only been a ati chipset. the problem is i currently only own an nvidia 8800gt, im running xp pro 32bit, and im curious if the card i have will even work with this board, i saw in the review they used a 9800 with driver issues... can anyone help/clarify?

Comment

Your video card should be OK, but the DDR3 memory requires a "T" model board, i.e., EP45T-DS3P. The "non-T" EP45-DS3R uses DDR2 memory. I have an EP35-DS3R and it works fine with a Sapphire HD4850 "Toxic" video card.

Comment

Working...
                    X