HD 4850 + Catalyst 8.7 = hiccups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeX77 View Post
    Ok, I should have been more concrete: I meant the amount printed by lspci.

grep RAM /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Code:
    (--) fglrx(0): Video RAM: 524288 kByte, Type: GDDR3
    This is also what Catalyst Control Center tells me. Perhaps the difference in what the kernel thinks and what fglrx thinks results in our problems?
    Ah lspci is in some post above :P But I'll paste it for You again
    Code:
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9440 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 0502
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Memory at feaf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
            I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
            Expansion ROM at feac0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
            Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
            Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>
            Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
            Kernel modules: fglrx
    So kernel thinks that it's 256MB...

Good luck, but Xorg is heavily nested into system so I guess this will not succeed.
    My xorg-server is version 1.4.2 BTW.
    As You said... nothing changed... but! Ah.. I will write this at the end of the post :P

Hmm.. I'm not quite sure, but it could be possible that something in X is forcing forked processes to be not migrated to other cpu.

Hot exactly did you check this?
    It's not very scientific... I have applet with CPU usage on my KDE panel, and its only filled in 1/4 of its height. When i compile something (I use gentoo, so it's often) with -j5 its filling out to the top.

Anyway, after compiling xorg 1.4.2 i've restarted pc, logged in console and just typed startx (it's starting twm and couple of xterms - you know what i mean) and i just started quake3 from one of them. Guess what? No hiccups! So we are digging to deep i think... When we starting our full desktop environment some damn process is making something bad and hiccups occur... Could You please try to start some 3D game or something without starting full desktop environment? Just for check...

And another thing: You are using KDE? if so, which version?

Comment

Started with KDE4 - no hiccups! KDE3.5 messes something...

Comment

I thought this way in the first case, too.. but I think its just more severe in Kde then in other WM's.

Just try some opengl app..

Comment

I thought this way in the first case, too.. but I think its just more severe in Kde then in other WM's.

Just try some opengl app..
          I tried Killed dozen of bots in quake3 without any hiccup.

Ok, I've manage what it was: The Taskbar v2 from kde-look.org... I do not know why but after disabling it hiccups are gone.
          Of course if this not help for You feel free to ask for anything, i'll try to help.
          Last edited by jabbas; 24 September 2008, 03:51 AM.

Comment

The 256 memory is just the amount that the CPU can address, it doesn't mean that the GPU can't use it all.

Quake 3 demo and Q4 demo both play without glitch for me. The intros do glitch - hard to notice in Q3, but very easy to see in Q4.

UT2004 demo is the one that shows it most, Nexuiz also but not as often.

I don't have KDE installed and I don't get any desktop glitching when using TWM or metacity without compiz.

Comment

WTF!?

Originally posted by jabbas View Post
              Ok, I've manage what it was: The Taskbar v2 from kde-look.org... I do not know why but after disabling it hiccups are gone.
              Of course if this not help for You feel free to ask for anything, i'll try to help.
              I would not have believed it but.. you are right! I had the same taskbar v2 applet as replacement for the default one and disabling it solved the hiccups!!
              Man, you made my day.. no my whole week

This realy is damn ridiculous.. Still I think the real issue is somewhere in the fglrx module as I never got thos hiccups with radeonhd or my "old" Nvidia 6800

Comment

I would not have believed it but.. you are right! I had the same taskbar v2 applet as replacement for the default one and disabling it solved the hiccups!!
                Man, you made my day.. no my whole week

This realy is damn ridiculous.. Still I think the real issue is somewhere in the fglrx module as I never got thos hiccups with radeonhd or my "old" Nvidia 6800
                Yes i also think that this is fglrx issue, but i think that all we can do is to stop using taskbar2...

Probably the issue is in taskbar's "window content" view... but i'm too lame C coder to debug it...

Comment

Working...
                X