Xorg Memory Usage -- Fedora 9, Nvidia 177 Beta driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xorg Memory Usage -- Fedora 9, Nvidia 177 Beta driver

I have been struggling to determine the source of a memory leak when using Compiz. I'm using the latest proprietary binary (beta 177) from Nvidia for my 7900GS. I'm running Fedora 9 64-bit.

When Compiz is enabled, the Xorg server memory usage gradually grows over a couple of hours until it all 4Gb and all swap is utilized. The memory usage grows considerably when Xscreensaver is running. When Compiz is not enabled, Xorg memory usage grows, but at a significantly slower rate.

I've read many posts indicating that there is a memory leak in the Nvidia driver. But, I've also read that it is fixed in their latest release. I've also seen some bugs in Xorg that may be related. I had the same issue with Fedora 8.

Here are my questions:
    1) What is the source of this memory leak?
    2) Are there any patches or workarounds?
    3) If it is the Nvidia driver, does anyone know if a patch is under development? Are there any driver alternatives that would allow me to still use Compiz?

Any suggestions to correct or diagnose the problem would be much appreciated.

Comment

Solved: Fedora 9 x86_64, Nvidia beta 177.13 driver, Compiz -- Memory leak

It looks like the problem was a bug in the Compiz code caused by a large number of damage events, in my case, triggered by xscreensaver graphics. The memory leak/usage appears to be fixed by applying the compiz patch found in this bug report

Comment

Working...
      X