Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Improvements In GNOME 2.24

Phoronix: Interesting Improvements In GNOME 2.24

Earlier this year prior to the release of GNOME 2.22 we had shared eight interesting improvements in GNOME 2.22. Some of these improvements included Epiphany with the WebKit back-end (if built with the proper argument), Evince Document Viewing improvements, Cheese web-camera software, Mousetweaks, the Vinagre VNC client, and Totem enhancements. Now with the official GNOME 2.24 release due out next month, this time around we're sharing a few of the interesting highlights for this GNOME update.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally I think Gnome is at a point where it have almost everything it needs.

The only thing I am really missing is Open sub menu on click.

Comment

Still no support for separate wallpapers on displays and fully configurable panel menu, these two missing features are real show stoppers for me in gnome. I'll just stay on xfce thank you.

Comment

this article is inaccurate.
        webkit will NOT be default for epiphany in GNOME 2.24.
        it was going to be initially, but since evolution still uses gecko, they're waiting to switch both over for GNOME 2.26

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          this article is inaccurate.
          webkit will NOT be default for epiphany in GNOME 2.24.
          it was going to be initially, but since evolution still uses gecko, they're waiting to switch both over for GNOME 2.26
          yeah wanted to say this too .. webkit was rejected as external dependency for this cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
            yeah wanted to say this too .. webkit was rejected as external dependency for this cycle.
            Corrected, thanks.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The disturbing inclusion of various Mono dependancies in gnome has made me look more and more at other DE lately. I really hope Mono will be kept out from the core of Gnome because frankly the applications made in Mono really suck, draw much memory and are dog slow. I also switched to Linux to avoid Microsoft and mono just isnt an option on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhedblom View Post
                The disturbing inclusion of various Mono dependancies in gnome has made me look more and more at other DE lately. I really hope Mono will be kept out from the core of Gnome because frankly the applications made in Mono really suck, draw much memory and are dog slow. I also switched to Linux to avoid Microsoft and mono just isnt an option on my computer.
                Well if gnome is goin to be rewritten, it will be written in mono.

Comment

Originally posted by roberth View Post
                  Well if Gnome is goin to be rewritten, it will be written in mono.
                  In that case i would suspect future is looking bright for KDE and the other DEs out there. Mono in Gnome will drive developers and users away in a flash.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhedblom View Post
                    In that case i would suspect future is looking bright for KDE
                    Has it ever been dim?

Comment

Working...
                    X