Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 On Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,620

    Default AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 On Linux

    Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 On Linux

    While details on AMD's high-end ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics card began surfacing last month, today this dual-GPU graphics card has formally launched and will begin shipping to retailers. The good news this time around is that this graphics card will actually be something worth looking at under Linux now that there's the needed CrossFire support on the horizon. We're not yet permitted to publish the Linux CrossFire benchmarks, but today we have a few pieces of information to share about the Radeon HD 4870 X2 on Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12734

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Heh, you sound like you could know when the new driver is out

    Whatsoever, I'm really looking forward to seeing some benchmarks and how well Crossfire setups scale, keep up the good work!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    I can't even imagine what bad things would happen if the users knew the driver's version you've used (I know this has been brought up before)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Oh sure, Crossfire support! I wish they would support the latest XOrg (the one used by Fedora 9) instead! Got this great new card and I haven't been able to use it AT ALL in the last couple of months. Even video stutters. *sigh*

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quintesse View Post
    Oh sure, Crossfire support! I wish they would support the latest XOrg (the one used by Fedora 9) instead! Got this great new card and I haven't been able to use it AT ALL in the last couple of months. Even video stutters. *sigh*
    First things first, the demand for crossfire under Linux has been there for a much longer time than the demand for Xorg 7.4 support.
    Apart from that, that Xorg "release" is not even out or considered stable yet. The official Catalyst driver, as bridgman once stated, is intended for everyday use on stable systems, which don't use the bleeding-edge development trees, whereas radeon and radeonhd are intended to support them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBrain View Post
    First things first, the demand for crossfire under Linux has been there for a much longer time than the demand for Xorg 7.4 support.
    Apart from that, that Xorg "release" is not even out or considered stable yet. The official Catalyst driver, as bridgman once stated, is intended for everyday use on stable systems, which don't use the bleeding-edge development trees, whereas radeon and radeonhd are intended to support them.
    If fglrx doesn't work, you are forced to go git master to get your card working with radeon/radeonhd. If ATI later says "we fixed it", it would much easier if I could try it out myself on X.Org 7.4 rather than spending the evening downgrading to 7.3 only to discover that it still doesn't work and then having to upgrade again to git.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    If fglrx doesn't work, you are forced to go git master to get your card working with radeon/radeonhd. If ATI later says "we fixed it", it would much easier if I could try it out myself on X.Org 7.4 rather than spending the evening downgrading to 7.3 only to discover that it still doesn't work and then having to upgrade again to git.
    hm.. I see where your problem is; however, then you could also stick with Xorg 7.3 and use radeonHD 1.0, so you need only one downgrade at all. But if you insist on having 3d acceleration it's not as easy as "if fglrx doesn't work I use radeon(hd)", exactly because of what you described. One must decide wether he sticks with some 3d accel that works with radeon(hd) or wether he gets full 3d accel IF he gets his fglrx running.
    I guess in your case it'd be best to spent ~5GB for a second distribution installation in order to test wether a new fglrx release fixed your problem.

    I now that's not really the answer you want to hear, but it's the sad reality that binary blobs don't fit too well in the OSS world

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBrain View Post
    I now that's not really the answer you want to hear, but it's the sad reality that binary blobs don't fit too well in the OSS world
    This is true, of course. But I wish AMD had gone the NVidia way; ignore the standards and do your own thing. On NVidia right now, the Linux Desktop/Gaming experience seems much better. I think there's a reason why you see a "don't use ATI, go NVidia" message when you install Cedega. NVidia seems to have invested more in their binary blobs than AMD has. If you provide a binary blob and refuse to open source it so others can fix it, at least fix it yourself dammit :P

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I still have to say buying a 4870X2 for Linux is brain dead. By the time the driver, if there is any, comes out, the 4870X2 is already history.

    So forget about it!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Agreed. Better to work on 3D (OpenGl, memory management, etc.) if resources are limited. No need to have things not work (up to) twice as fast.

    Of course, making the code "Crossfire clean" could have benefits elsewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •