Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "radeon" driver screen update problem

Hi,

I'm using the latest "radeon" drivers from ubuntu intrepid, along with the corresponding mesa and xorg packages. My card is a Mobility Radeon X1400. I get screen redraw problems like the attached screenshot. This happens with both EXA and XAA, and with Compiz and Metacity (tried all 4 combinations).

I should probably mention that the only app I see this problem with is Evolution, and only the mail compose window. Has anyone seen similar problems/ know of any workarounds?

Same card on ubuntu hardy using xorg-pushers repo for git versions. No such problem here.

There was a recent change to radeon to set GARTSize default to 32. Maybe intrepid didn't get this yet. If not, you might improve performance by putting this in your xorg.conf driver section:

Option "GARTSize" "32"

I've actually gone to "64", but "32" probably is all that's needed.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
      There was a recent change to radeon to set GARTSize default to 32. Maybe intrepid didn't get this yet. If not, you might improve performance by putting this in your xorg.conf driver section:

Option "GARTSize" "32"

I've actually gone to "64", but "32" probably is all that's needed.
      Interesting, but I had already set the GARTSize to 64 a while ago for other reasons. Just tried again with "32" (just for the heck of it), but the same issue remains.

Comment

Setting GART size > 32 is not reccomended as 32 is hardcoded in places and it may cause bugs.

I don't know the detail - just repeating what the devs have said on #radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by mrinaldotnet View Post
          Hi,

I'm using the latest "radeon" drivers from ubuntu intrepid, along with the corresponding mesa and xorg packages. My card is a Mobility Radeon X1400. I get screen redraw problems like the attached screenshot. This happens with both EXA and XAA, and with Compiz and Metacity (tried all 4 combinations).

I should probably mention that the only app I see this problem with is Evolution, and only the mail compose window. Has anyone seen similar problems/ know of any workarounds?
          Also occured for me on Xpress200M with Inrepid + TormodVolden's GIT radeon. I havn't checked if it also occurs with the Inrepid's radeon driver.

Comment

There's the possibility that this was a bug in evolution - the problem has disappeared after a round of updates.

Comment

recent change to radeon

Comment

Originally posted by sahara4 View Post
                There was a recent change to radeon to set GARTSize default to 32. Maybe intrepid didn't get this yet.
                This change is included since intrepid alpha4.

Comment

Working...
                X