Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Flash Player 10 Release Candidate

Phoronix: Adobe Flash Player 10 Release Candidate

Adobe has today announced the Flash Player 10 release candidate as the first testing update since early January when their previous Flash Player 10 beta had added many new features such as 3D effects, advanced text layout, an enhanced drawing API, and visual performance improvements. The first beta though for Adobe Flash Player 10 Linux was announced back in May. In the Linux version of the Adobe Flash Player 10 RC is improved camera support with V4L1/V4L2, improved software full-screen support, faster and a more stable window-less mode, SSL handled through NSS, and stability fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't even bother trying to get this version going in 64-bit with the wrapper.

Comment

Am I missing something, or are there very few 32-bit processors on the market these days? What's with the wholesale lack of 64-bit support?

Comment

Native 64-bit version of Flash 11? I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by alexforcefive View Post
          Am I missing something, or are there very few 32-bit processors on the market these days? What's with the wholesale lack of 64-bit support?
          It's not that they aren't working on it. It's just that when you have a lot of code in a JIT compiler that was written for 32-bit processors, that code takes a long time to port. Good news is that the JIT compiler is open source and everyone can help! More info on my blog:
          http://www.jamesward.com/wordpress/2...-flash-player/

-James (Adobe)

Comment

Hello. I'm posting it here too so it will not get lost by Penguin.SWF's moderators. The "Mike" in question I mention down under is Adobe's and ffmpeg's Mike Melanson, the guy who codes Flash for Linux and posts in the aforementioned blog. The text as I sent to him follows:

Argh!
            No 64-bit native, and now no 32-bit nspluginwrapper, neither 32-bit firefox on 64-bit platform anymore, as libflashplayer.so depends on

libcurl.so.3
            libssl3.so
            libnss3.so
            libnspr4.so

, that can be found in packages

libcurl3
            libnspr4-dev
            libnss3-dev

Heh. These in turn depend on

libcomerr2
            libidn11
            libkrb53
            libldap
            libnss3-1d
            libsqlite3
            libssl0.9.8
            zlib1g

that in their turn depend on

debconf
            libgnutls13
            libkeyutils1
            libsasl2

that in their turn depend on

debconf-i18n
            libdb4.6
            libgcrypt11
            liblzo2-2
            libopencdk10
            libsasl2-modules
            libtasn1-2
            perl-base

that in their turn depend on other multitude of libraries I'll not dig deeper because it became pretty obvious there are just too many of them, that it would be easier to run a 32-bit O.S., and having to install all the dependencies in a 64-bit O.S. would mean my 'puter would spend some hundreds of MB just to load a cute Flash-based banner ad.
            If Flash 10 final has this little dependency problem, it will be simply a nightmarish task for Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE, (*)Ubuntu and all other distos who offer a 64-bit version of their OSes, to package it.
            Man, you did it.
            It was a punch below the waistline.
            Mike, you can do better than this. There's no need to worsen 64-bit users' lives, even less this way. If before we could at least awkwardly use Flash content, rc1 just alienated us in such an absurd way I really struggle to understand why a developer would go such great lenghts to accomplish it. I'm not saying you did it on purpose, but you hit the mark nonetheless.
            Please take a moment to think about it, and I hope you'll realize you can't disregard so many people, at least not morally.
            I really hope you personally will work out this situation in a reasonable way.

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Don't even bother trying to get this version going in 64-bit with the wrapper.
              it works fine here with the wrapper ... Fedora 9 x86_64

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
                it works fine here with the wrapper ... Fedora 9 x86_64
                Please double-check if your browser really found the 10rc1 plugin. The previous pluging works (that one with stray pixels in video presentations), the newer don't. Type

updatedb
                locate libflashplayer.so

If you find too many, then the possibility of your browser getting the wrong one increases accordingly.

Best regards.

Comment

RC and diablo3.com still crashes

Comment

Originally posted by taupter View Post
                    Please double-check if your browser really found the 10rc1 plugin. The previous pluging works (that one with stray pixels in video presentations), the newer don't. Type

updatedb
                    locate libflashplayer.so

If you find too many, then the possibility of your browser getting the wrong one increases accordingly.

Best regards.
                    I only have one copy installed and did run mozilla-plugin-config after installing the new one.

aboutlugins says:
                    Shockwave Flash 10.0.0 d569
                    (compare it with the blog post d569 is the 10rc build)

and full screen video playback is much faster

btw if you are using Fedora see the second point in this blog post:
                    Several new crashers for Fedora 10 happened in the last few weeks. nspulginwrapper-1.1.0 hit Fedora 9 updates with its new support for "windowless" WMODE. It turns out that the previous nspluginwrapper version did not support WMODE, so it was hiding an instant crasher ( upstream bug ) where firefox…

Comment

Working...
                    X