Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 3.0, GLSL 1.30 Released

Phoronix: OpenGL 3.0, GLSL 1.30 Released

From SIGGRAPH 2008, one of the premiere computers graphics conferences, the Khronos Group has announced the release of the OpenGL 3.0 API specification and the GLSL 1.30 shading language specification. This is the first major update to this cross-platform 3D programming API since the OpenGL 2.1 release two years ago. In this article we have a bit of information on these OpenGL and GLSL updates and when we can expect to see the Linux graphics scene moving to this new standard.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey WOW OpenGL 3 nice ! but WTF the OpenSource ATI Drivers Support only OpenGL 1.3 http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature and no GLSL

Comment

afaik comes ogl3 with gallium3d. in other words: it doesn't make sense to put lot of effort into the "old" driver model.

Comment

The word "finally" comes to mind.

Comment

Yes, yes and yes!
          That's what I was waiting for.

Comment

Seems like many people are disappointed: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...243267&fpart=1

Comment

how long until it supports my DX10 hardware, and will that be before i have purchased DX11 hardware?
              i posit this question pessimistically, due the growing irrelevance of OpenGL to me as i see it.

but i do hope.....................

Comment

Will it be possible to create videos-games with very realistic graphics like directx10 videos-games with this new OpenGL?

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
                  Will it be possible to create videos-games with very realistic graphics like directx10 videos-games with this new OpenGL?
                  In fact, many games that offer both DX9 and DX10 versions don't differ _that_ much in graphics quality, so it's actually possible to do the same "very realistic graphics" of DX10 and DX9. And as most (if not all) DX9 features are also implemented in Opengl 2.x, it's even possible to do these kinds of graphics in "old" Opengl versions.
                  What OpenGL 3 improves here, however, is the general API look and also it optimizes a few basic concepts as well as introducing a better shader language.
                  I.e. both DX10 and OGL3 don't make these graphics possible, but make it easier for games to achieve them.

Comment

Wasn't OpenGL3 supposed to just be a "clean up" version, with the really good stuff coming in OpenGL3.1?

Comment

Working...
                    X