Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI or NVIDIA

Just thought i'd share some info :

I bought a HD3870 when it first came out, got fed up waiting for drivers as each month they seem tadd a bug fix a bug, wine stopping working was the final straw.

Picked up a cheap 8800 Gt 512mb on ebay (?60)

I had some issues trying to install nvidia driver as remnants of fglrx seemed to remain something to do with redirecting libgl.s01 but got it to work in the end.

Image Quality in my opinion is little better with ATI everything seems a little sharper and the colours better. This goes for win & lin.

Compiz performance is better with ATI but changing a few options in compiz settings closed the gap for me. There is also no flickering in windowed modes using XV or opengl. Scrolling seems a lot faster with the 8800gt, bare in mind I have the latest Nvidia driver installed.

Never noticed much difference in performance in games with windows. glxgears is faster but with compiz enabled is slower than the hd3870
    don't think that means much.

I would say it basically comes down to 3 things.

scrolling speed 2d = Nvidia

image quality = Ati

no flickering. = Nvidia

Wine works fine with Nvidia to. Overall I prefer the 8800gt. Nvidia are promising a big performance boost for 8xxx cards with 177.xxx drivers but who know's.
Working...
X