GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 mobo?

Hi, I'm looking to build a new all amd rig, here's a complete parts list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12572567 I'd like to know if anyone is having issues with it in ubuntu, specifcally ubuntu studio if possible, I'm asking cause theres one guy saying that the vanila ubuntu 8.04 release had issues, would I with 8.04.1?

I've already tried the ubuntu forums, they where pretty useless as usual with the thread sinking fast and deep without ever getting answered.

Sidenote, I just need the HD3650 to work reliably, not fast, since I wont be gaming.

I had meant to post sooner but got tied up with other endeavours.

If you are still undecided I am here to offer some opinions.

The only items that glares out at me in your list is the power
    supply you selected.
    You will really be pushing the limits with 1 that small.
    I would not go for of with less than 500 watts.

As you will not be using the system for gaming I would suggest that rather than the MOBO and vid card which you had selected that instead you consider 1 of the AMD 780G boards which has the integrated ati-3200 vga.
    Gigabyte makes 1 which has received good reviews on this forumn and I personally have a ESC-A780G-A and it runs Mandriva linux very well.
    It's not blazing fast but is good and steady.

You could use your savings to upgrade your power supply choice, upgrade the CPU etc, or save it.

If you are not yet glued to any of your choices I would also suggest that you check the Newegg combo offers, you could increase your $ savings.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by eslrahc View Post
      The only items that glares out at me in your list is the power
      supply you selected.
      You will really be pushing the limits with 1 that small.
      I would not go for of with less than 500 watts.
      The choice of the power supply is completely fine since this is not meant to be a high class gaming system. Recent power supplies that are not from one of the cheapest models available out there are completely fine in the 400W range. That is some german pc hardware magazine did some tests and were even able to run a rather high class system including a sli setup with a brand 400W power supply. That is today the most power hungry components are the gamers grade graphics cards.
      In this system with a low power CPU even a recent 300W power supply unit would be much more than needed. With this setup with this rather low range graphics card and low power CPU it would not be a problem to power something like 4 HDs in the system.

I think the system looks rather fine, though what eslrahc wrote regarding the graphics card is correct. I would recommend going for the latest board from gigabyte with the 780GX northbridge and the SB750 southbridge. You also might want to consider taking the samsung F1 harddrive with 640GB. It is just 5$ more expensive than the seagate driver and it is probably faster. Though the positive thing about the seagate drive is the 5 year warranty instead of 3 year warranty at samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
        Hi, I'm looking to build a new all amd rig, here's a complete parts list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12572567 I'd like to know if anyone is having issues with it in ubuntu, specifcally ubuntu studio if possible, I'm asking cause theres one guy saying that the vanila ubuntu 8.04 release had issues, would I with 8.04.1?

I've already tried the ubuntu forums, they where pretty useless as usual with the thread sinking fast and deep without ever getting answered.

Sidenote, I just need the HD3650 to work reliably, not fast, since I wont be gaming.
        I own the motherboard you're looking at (actually I own the GA-MA770-DS3, bu they're the same feature-wise), I can tell you that I don't have any problems with it whatsoever. The audio, Ethernet, and chipset are all completely supported in the Linux kernel, and Ubuntu 8.04 auto detected it them all.

My only concern would be the quality control problems Gigabyte as a whole had earlier this year. They had quite a lot of RMA's, and I had to send back my first board. The board then went out of stock for a few weeks, and quietly returned to the NewEgg lineup. I've had absolutely no problems with my second board.

As someone who runs an all AMD build I'm going to be honest with you: Your problems won't be with the motherboard. If you catch hell from anything, it will be the Linux ATi drivers.

Comment

Working...
        X