HD4870 performance is truly awful - fglrx Hardy x86_64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD4870 performance is truly awful - fglrx Hardy x86_64

I'm getting ~30fps in ut2004 with *minimum* in-game settings for everything and 320x240 resolution!

I'm seeing similar with ET:QW and Quake 4 (haven't tried anything else)

I'm using fglrx (Catalyst 8.7), the fglrx module is loaded, and I guess the good news is that the FPS doesn't drop much when I crank the settings up to maximum quality at 1600x1200.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf (straight from aticonfig --initial --force):

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver      "kbd"
    	Option	    "XkbRules" "xorg"
    	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
    	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
    	Driver      "mouse"
    	Option	    "CorePointer"
    	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Here's my xorg log and glxinfo (sorry, it's pastebin!)

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

glxinfo

Please, any thoughts would be welcome. I just got this card this morning and am very disappointed so far!

Do you have vsync turned on in the game ? That might be capping your rates to 60 Hz or a sub-multiple.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Do you have vsync turned on in the game ? That might be capping your rates to 60 Hz or a sub-multiple.
      No, vsync isn't on. When I look at the sky, or straight into a wall, I can get >200fps, so I'm pretty sure the frame rate isn't being capped.

Comment

Even if vsync was on, he should be getting 60FPS, 30.

Comment

Agreed, but I have seen some cases where you get a lower cap, ie 30-60 Hz gets capped at 30, while anything over 60 gets capped at 60. It was an implementation-specific thing IIRC.
          Test signature

Comment

Agreed, but I have seen some cases where you get a lower cap, ie 30-60 Hz gets capped at 30, while anything over 60 gets capped at 60. It was an implementation-specific thing IIRC.

I have noticed that behavior too. Say you normally get 80fps as a minimum and your monitor has a refresh rate of 75Hz. Normally you would think that since your normal minimum frames never go below 80 you will now constantly get 75fps in the game. Not so. Your max frames will be 75, but vsync. also caps your average and minimum frames as well, so now instead of getting 80fps minimum you would be getting something like 20-30fps. So in effect, vsync. slows everything down to keep things in sync.
            Running Nexuiz timedemo1 without vsync:
            40 85 154

Running Nexuiz timedemo1 with vsync on (60Hz):
            18 32 60

OT: I have noticed an odd behavior with the vsync. options for fglrx. Basically you can only globally force it on or off; the in between options have no effect whatsoever.
            Last edited by Melcar; 07 August 2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

This card should never fall below 60 on this game. Btw, this cap at half the refresh rate only happens with fglrx. AMD's windows drivers don't have this problem. I get 50FPS on a 60Hz refresh there with v-sync on.

Comment

I guess you use the wrong 32 bit opengl lib.

Comment

I'm curious...in the 3D > more settings section of the ATI control panel, does changing either of the two slider controls cause ANY change of behavior here?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    This card should never fall below 60 on this game. Btw, this cap at half the refresh rate only happens with fglrx. AMD's windows drivers don't have this problem. I get 50FPS on a 60Hz refresh there with v-sync on.

Fglrx seems to have a more aggressive vsync control. Vsync with fglrx is useless anyways, since video output will always display tears anyway. Even at 20fps with vsync on my games tear.

Comment

Working...
                    X