r700 HD4870x2 Catalyst support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r700 HD4870x2 Catalyst support

I am looking to update from my Nvidia 8800gt this month, and the GTX280 and HD4870x2 are the ones I'm looking at. I'm pretty happy with the linux support from Nvidia, however my laptop seems to be doing ok with it's built in ATI card for awhile now. Does anyone here have any information on the degree of support for the HD4870x2 ? From what I understand, it will just work like a single HD4870 due to the lack of crossfire support in the Catalyst drivers. I do dual boot sometimes into Windows where I could use it, but I play several games in linux that can use it (Savage 1,2 , quake 4, ut*, etc) so it would be in my interest to invest in a card that will work well in both OSes. I'm not a fanboy of either, I just want what will work the best in Linux within the next few months.

Don't know about that specific card, but Crossfire is almost with us. This last driver (8.7) has Crossfire options in aticonfig (although I have yet to hear of anyone trying Crossfire yet), so I guess that by next release we will get to see something in that regard.

Comment

Hi,

We'll deliver HD 4870X2 benchmarks under Linux in the near future
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great!
        I'll stay tuned to see how it fares in Linux then.
        Hopefully it'll be pretty sweet, as I'd like to support ATI for their open source and documentation providing intiatives.

Thanks!

Comment

to be honest, they should focus more on actually having the driver be compatible with stuff, than implementing crossfire.

Comment

Now that the HD4870x2 is out for sale, I'm looking at $450 for a GTX 280 or $525 for a HD4870x2. Right now, the GTX 280 is supported in Linux and works with Wine et al, isn't burdened by delays with DRI2, everything works on the latest Xorg release, all the things my 8800gt works with now, just faster. If I were to buy today, the 280 would have to be my choice (gotta have the 3d accel support).

I am wondering if Phoronix will do a head to head on Linux review of the 280 and 4870x2 as soon as the ATI drivers come out with support for the 4870x2 ?

While I convince my wife to allow the purchase, I'll be researching, reading and waiting for something that can give some non-biased, definitive information about the two w/ Linux. I saw the 2 page news article on the 12th mentioning the public release of the 4870x2, but it appears no benchmarks are availble since the final linux driver from ATI with crossfire support is still not finished.

I'm guessing it'll take about 2 weeks to convince my wife.. do you think the numbers will be in by then ? :P

Is the new drvier from ATI going to work with Xorg 1.4.2 (what I have on my Gentoo and Arch boxes atm) ?

( Sorry for the rambling questions, I've been writing this during work over the past hour or so

Comment

Xorg 1.4.2 is no problem for the driver, but 1.5 RC is which is used in Ubuntu/intrepid - which will ship in 2 month - still without working driver... The dilemma began with Fedora Core 9 in may...

Comment

Originally posted by corpdecker View Post
                Now that the HD4870x2 is out for sale, I'm looking at $450 for a GTX 280 or $525 for a HD4870x2. Right now, the GTX 280 is supported in Linux and works with Wine et al, isn't burdened by delays with DRI2, everything works on the latest Xorg release, all the things my 8800gt works with now, just faster. If I were to buy today, the 280 would have to be my choice (gotta have the 3d accel support).

I am wondering if Phoronix will do a head to head on Linux review of the 280 and 4870x2 as soon as the ATI drivers come out with support for the 4870x2 ?

While I convince my wife to allow the purchase, I'll be researching, reading and waiting for something that can give some non-biased, definitive information about the two w/ Linux. I saw the 2 page news article on the 12th mentioning the public release of the 4870x2, but it appears no benchmarks are availble since the final linux driver from ATI with crossfire support is still not finished.

I'm guessing it'll take about 2 weeks to convince my wife.. do you think the numbers will be in by then ? :P

Is the new drvier from ATI going to work with Xorg 1.4.2 (what I have on my Gentoo and Arch boxes atm) ?

( Sorry for the rambling questions, I've been writing this during work over the past hour or so
                The 4870X2 benchmarks will be published once the 8.8 review has been published, so yes within two weeks.

No GTX 280 comparison though... NVIDIA hasn't sent over any samples and their partners haven't sent any yet either.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replys!
                  I'll be lurking, checking for the 4870x2 review.
                  Strange NVidia doesn't offer up a card for review, afaik this is the #1 linux based review site out right now, it would behoove them to cover a nice segment of the Linux users by donating a card.

*stares at nvidia*

*cough*

thanks again guys

Comment

Originally posted by corpdecker View Post
                    Thanks for the replys!
                    I'll be lurking, checking for the 4870x2 review.
                    Strange NVidia doesn't offer up a card for review, afaik this is the #1 linux based review site out right now, it would behoove them to cover a nice segment of the Linux users by donating a card.

*stares at nvidia*

*cough*

thanks again guys
                    I totally agree with the above.
                    There are not too many reputable sites around providing linux hardware reviews, this site is valuable for us. We would really benefit if companies -that are willing to work with the community- would provide samples for testing.

Comment

Working...
                    X