trouble building xorg-server from git on gentoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble building xorg-server from git on gentoo

Hey guys, I've been having some trouble building xorg-server from git on gentoo. I've waited every day for the last week thinking that it would be temporary, but Even now a week later it still craps out at the same spot. I need some advice on how to get around this... I need to build from git in order for for the ati driver to work with acceleration. Here is the output....

Code:
    r.Tpo -c -o oscolor.lo oscolor.c
    ../doltcompile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include    -DHAVE_DIX_CONFIG_H -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAS_FCHOWN -DHAS_STICKY_DIR_BIT -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/kerberos/include    -I../include -I../include -I../Xext -I../composite -I../damageext -I../xfixes -I../Xi -I../mi -I../miext/shadow  -I../miext/damage -I../render -I../randr -I../fb -O2 -pipe -march=k8 -MT osinit.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/osinit.Tpo -c -o osinit.lo osinit.c
    mv -f .deps/oscolor.Tpo .deps/oscolor.Plo
    ../doltcompile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include    -DHAVE_DIX_CONFIG_H -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAS_FCHOWN -DHAS_STICKY_DIR_BIT -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/kerberos/include    -I../include -I../include -I../Xext -I../composite -I../damageext -I../xfixes -I../Xi -I../mi -I../miext/shadow  -I../miext/damage -I../render -I../randr -I../fb -O2 -pipe -march=k8 -MT utils.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/utils.Tpo -c -o utils.lo utils.c
    In file included from connection.c:108:
    osdep.h:95:5: error: missing binary operator before token "("
    make[1]: *** [connection.lo] Error 1
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    mv -f .deps/osinit.Tpo .deps/osinit.Plo
    mv -f .deps/utils.Tpo .deps/utils.Plo
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-9999/work/xorg-server-9999/os'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
     * ERROR: x11-base/xorg-server-9999 failed.
     * Call stack:
     *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
     *             environment, line 3216:  Called x-modular_src_compile
     *             environment, line 4022:  Called x-modular_src_make
     *             environment, line 4058:  Called die
     * The specific snippet of code:
     *       emake || die "emake failed"
     *  The die message:
     *   emake failed
     * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
     * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-9999/temp/build.log'.
     * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-9999/temp/environment'.

* Messages for package x11-base/xorg-server-9999:
    Any help or advice would be awesome thanks guys.

The kernel in /usr/src/linux is probably not set up correctly. Also, there is hardly any reason to use an X server that has unsupportably been pulled from git.

Comment

The kernel has been setup properly I'm sure, but of course just like anything, I could be wrong. If you'd tell me what information you need I'd gladly provide and we could figure out what is wrong.

The reason that I'm pulling from git is that I want R500 acceleration... I cant get it on older releases and so must pull from git. It isnt ideal, but so long as ATi is wasting precious resources on other pork projects, I dont really have much of a choice....

Comment

Make sure you always install up-to-date x11-headers/* packages
        before rebuilding the git x-server. If they don't disappear immediately, you can either fix the typos in the headers yourself or wait half a day and remerge the x11-headers.

Comment

i've unmasked the xorg-server (xorg-server-1.4.99.906) in the main portage tree, running on x86_64 with a R515 card. it actually works pretty good. no need for the git version for me.

Comment

Good point - the required xserver changes needed for 7.1rc Mesa AIGLX have been in git long enough that they should be start showing up in some distro packages.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by shaoh View Post
              i've unmasked the xorg-server (xorg-server-1.4.99.906) in the main portage tree, running on x86_64 with a R515 card. it actually works pretty good. no need for the git version for me.
              Ok, I've got it built, now I just have to figure out why db is crapping out... Something is wrong with sun-jdk...

Anyhoo, once I get the system finished, I'll come back here and let ya'll know how it went.

Comment

Hey guys, I finally got it all installed. ...

It took several tries, and retries, but I finally have it up and running, and am now just running into one last snag....

Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
                I am unable to run anything 3D due to this message. I get it anytime I try to run any 3d game or program or screensaver etc... What do you guys think? How can this be resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Hey guys, I finally got it all installed. ...

It took several tries, and retries, but I finally have it up and running, and am now just running into one last snag....

I am unable to run anything 3D due to this message. I get it anytime I try to run any 3d game or program or screensaver etc... What do you guys think? How can this be resolved?
                  That message is unrelated to your 3d-problems. You will get those with that xorg-server build even when everything is working fine.

What's the output of 'modinfo radeon drm' and 'dmesg | grep drm'?
                  Last edited by JumJum; 13 August 2008, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JumJum View Post
                    That message is unrelated to your 3d-problems. You will get those with that xorg-server build even when everything is working fine.

What's the output of 'modinfo radeon drm' and 'dmesg | grep drm'?
                    Oh ok, I've included the information you asked for. If you need anything else just let me know. I'm gonna perform an emerge -e system && emerge -e world today just to make sure that all of the linking is done properly against proper versions etc.

TheBeast duby229 # modinfo radeon drm
                    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.25-gentoo-r7/x11-drm/radeon.ko
                    license: GPL and additional rights
                    description: ATI Radeon
                    author: Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.
                    srcversion: 969E9C4854B1E5F5F8A72B4
                    depends: drm
                    vermagic: 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 SMP preempt mod_unload
                    parm: no_wbisable AGP writeback for scratch registers
                    (int)
                    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.25-gentoo-r7/x11-drm/drm.ko
                    license: GPL and additional rights
                    description: DRM shared core routines
                    author: Gareth Hughes, Leif Delgass, Jos�� Fonseca, Jon Smirl
                    srcversion: 65DD318EC6E46102469D610
                    depends:
                    vermagic: 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 SMP preempt mod_unload
                    parm: debug:Enable debug output (int)
                    TheBeast duby229 # dmesg | grep drm
                    [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
                    [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613 on minor 0
                    [drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
                    [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
                    [drm] Loading R500 Microcode
                    [drm] Num pipes: 3
                    [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs