Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I install an earlier version of fgrlx-driver in Debian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I install an earlier version of fgrlx-driver in Debian?

I would like to install a previous fglrx driver since the latest two don't work with Wine. In the testing repo there is only one version to be found (1:8-6-2). Therefor I added the stable repo, and now I can also install fglrx 8.28.8.

However when I try to install the stable driver using "Force Version" in Synaptic it wants to remove all xorg files. Therefor I wonder how I should install older packages in Debian.

Is there a equivalent to Gentoo's package.mask?

you can find the older drivers at http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ous-linux.html

you just run the script to install. Uninstall the current drivers first, though (it's easy to do with envy)

Comment

run that script with

-v 8-5

option.

Comment

First of all thanks for the help! However I was more looking for a solution within the Debian framework instead of a a workaround. For sure it should be possible to 'blacklist' certain packages? And where did all the previous fglrx packages go? Ar they removed from the repo? Or retained in unstable?

Comment

My script works for Debian and Ubuntu. You can be sure it is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            My script works for Debian and Ubuntu. You can be sure it is correct.
            That's what I assumed ^^. However by using your script I don't learn anything abot the working of Debian. This means next time a similar problem arises with another package I still haven't learned how to fix it.

There are 2 possibilities:

1 It isn't possible to install another fglrx version in Debian, and your script is the only way to solve this.

2 It is possible to blacklist software in Debian (much like package.mask in Gentoo).

What I don't understand is why I only find two version of the ATI drivers (stable & testing) in the repos. What happened with the other drivers? Are these discarded?

Comment

Ok, Ik have the folowing lines in my /etc/apt/preferences:

Code:
              Package: fglrx-driver
              Pin: version  8.28.8-4
              Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: xserver-xorg
              Pin: version  1:7.1.0-19
              Pin-Priority: 1000

Unfortunately I hit the following problem when trying to install fglrx-drivers:

Code:
                libxi6: Depends: x11-common but it is not installable
                xfonts-encodings: Depends: x11-common but it is not installable
                libxt6: PreDepends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but it is not installable
                libxext6: Depends: x11-common but it is not installable
              open: 9907; closed: 4864; defer: 0; conflict:

Edit:
              I just checked, but it appears that Debian only has two versions of fglrx available. What happened with each monthly version?

Code:
              Package fglrx-driver

* sarge-backports (x11): Display driver for the ATI graphics accelerators [non-free]
                    8.23.7-0bpo1 [backports]: i386
                  * etch (stable) (x11): display driver for the ATI graphics accelerators [non-free]
                    8.28.8-4: amd64 i386
                  * etch-backports (x11): non-free AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx display driver [non-free]
                    8.47.3-3~bpo40+1 [backports]: amd64 i386
                  * lenny (testing) (x11): non-free AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx display driver [non-free]
                    1:8-6-2: amd64 i386
                  * sid (unstable) (x11): non-free AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx display driver [non-free]
                    1:8-6-2: amd64 i386
                  * experimental (x11): non-free AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx display driver [non-free]
                    1:8-7-1: amd64[/
              Last edited by aniruddha; 06 August 2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X