Installing Solaris 5/08 on a VirtualBox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Solaris 5/08 on a VirtualBox

Hi all, I'm trying to install Solaris on VirtualBox, but all I get is the grub command line.

According to the Solaris manual, I should get a menu to choose from, but at the moment, all I get is the 'grub>' command line and no menu. What do I need to do in order to get SOlaris to boot from the DVD .iso image on my hard drive?

I've tried using it on Linux (Fedora 9) and I'm now trying it on Vista x64, but I'm having no luck (gave up trying to recompile the kernel until I get more time).

TIA

Andy

Hi all,

I'm back again. Still no luck with the install. I have reviewed everything I've done, redownloaded the single .sio file I can find for Solaris 10 and I still can't get the damn thing to boot.

I have downloaded (and am downloading again) sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso, which is 2206400kB in size according to the Sun Download manager. Is this the correct file? If not, where can I find the second part of the download? If it is, how the hell do I get grub to recognise where the grub menu is???

Can you tell I'm getting annoyed with the whole virtualisation thing?

TIA

Andy

Comment

havent downloaded solaris from sun's site, but if it's the correct bootable dvd image file, it should boot to the menu. Maybe theres a "livecd" iso file and what youre downloading is the regular iso one.

Comment

Thanks for your help xav1r.

Well, I burned the DVD to disk and booted from there in the VB. Got all the way to installing the system, and then a message box popped up saying that the wrong CD/DVD was in the drive. Now thinking of waiting until 10/08 comes out and starting again.

OT: Can anyone tell me the difference between Solaris and OpenSolaris? I know the image size is about 750MB for OS, and 2.0GB for Solaris, but where does the difference lie?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X